Fishing Vessel "KINGFISHER", 1950's typical inshore fisheries

(They do sell some that actually fly too!)
Neons
Site Admin

Fishing Vessel "KINGFISHER", 1950's typical inshore fisheries

Post by Neons » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:05 pm

Here is a very nice hard to find classic fishing vessel plan for modeling. The plan was submitted from Dodgy about 5 years ago in Vintage- Old Timer Boats thread.This "FV KINGFISHER", plan was published in a 1958 issue of American Modeler Magazine.

I have had this somewhat scale 1940-50's East coast inshore fishing dragger. I find many of the the detail items may be missing or somewhat close for a model boat of an early era fishing boat from the area I was born. One example is the fishing dory used as a lifeboat. It shows a double ender boat. Most FV used a transom dory on the roof.I lived in the fishing capital of America. New Bedford, MA. I took many photos and hung around the docks as a kid. I do not think I would go to sea as far as George's Banks to fish on this smaller vessel. That may be my opinion but I stand by it. These vessels may have fished an average 30 miles offshore due to size and draft. Most offshore Grand Bankers were cut down schooners about 80-110 feet at that time.
If you want the plan be sure to download the Pdf file as it is better quality.
Attachments
KingFisher.pdf
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Kingfisher New England fishing dragger.jpg
Bob Pacheco

Neons
Site Admin

Re: Fishing Vessel "KINGFISHER", 1950's typical inshore fisheries

Post by Neons » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:30 pm

The best known Yankee builder of fine vessels was the famous Harvey Gamage shipyard of S. Bristol, ME. They were sea vessels with deep drafts to handle the seas for a weeks fishing offshore.

Here is the story of "POCAHONTAS" - later MICHELE & ANNETTE, a Harvey Gamage built as a dragger and used also for scalloping fisheries. She was lost and later found the life ring over in France..
https://www.southcoasttoday.com/article ... ws/7080325

Here is a beautiful made model of the New England dragger-scalloper POCAHONTAS.
Attachments
New England dragger - Pocahontas.JPG
Bob Pacheco

Rabbit

Re: Fishing Vessel "KINGFISHER", 1950's typical inshore fisheries

Post by Rabbit » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:57 pm

Wow!! that is some hell of boat looks good