Home-made RC Airboat Project

(They do sell some that actually fly too!)
HitNRun

Home-made RC Airboat Project

Post by HitNRun »

I'm working on a small RC air-boat build at the moment. Nothing fancy, just throwing something together as a base model to improve on down the road.
I'm making it out of thin pink foam insulation sheeting. I'm also adding nav lights to it for a little "bling" hahahahaha. ;)

I made a simple drawing on "microsoft paint" just to get a picture in my head. Everything else will be done by eye for the most part.
I've begun putting it together from the bottom, up. I'm working on the hull now and then I just need to put a flat platform on top of it.
I don't think the front of the hull will be as square as it is in the picture I provided. I'm most likely going to taper the hull inwards a couple of inches on each side.

Once that's done, I can work on the motor mount area and the dual rudders for steering.
I may add some ribs to the underside of the boat to aid in stability in the water.

More pictures to come as the build progresses. 8-)
Attachments
Airboat Design Idea 1.jpg
Ben Costa
Neons
Site Admin

Re: Home-made RC Airboat Project

Post by Neons »

It is a cool project. My brother made one many years ago with a small gas motor. They are fun and slide a lot on the water. I still have it in my garage all beat up. A higher kv motor could turn up a small prop but would use a bigger battery. It could possibly go faster.
Bob Pacheco