Vic Smeed - Panache - RC Sailboat

(They do sell some that actually fly too!)
Neons
Site Admin

Vic Smeed - Panache - RC Sailboat

Post by Neons »

I built this model about 1986. Vic Smeed is the designer of this nice little sailer. It is thin plywood over formers. I also have a layer of glass cloth on the hull. The deck layout accessories are my design and missing some winches and other little things over the years. It was built with a plan from a magazine. The deck has a hatch that is screwed down to seal out water. It has a servo operated main and jib winch below deck.

The sails are spinnaker material. The keel is thin lead house flashing laminated and filed to shape. There is a seam part way down where the lead keel starts. These models sail very well for hours on end. We picked it as our Fall River Boat Club standard class in house racer . We did not allow jibs past the mast in our challenges.. The mast is hollow aluminum arrow shafts and the stays are fishing leader. I know that 4 of our boats are still around. I do not know where the rest went.

Attached is the plans and instructions. The original plan came out in Model Maker Dec. 1980
Attachments
RC SV Panache Smeed instruct.pdf
Instructions to build
(2.69 MiB) Downloaded 631 times
RC SV Panache Smeed plan.pdf
Plan
(676.48 KiB) Downloaded 619 times
Plan Picture
Plan Picture
1-26-2014 RC Sloop (1).jpg
1-26-2014 RC Sloop (2).jpg
1-26-2014 RC Sloop (3).jpg
1-26-2014 RC Sloop (4).jpg
1-26-2014 RC Sloop (5).jpg
Bob Pacheco
tomapowa

Re: Vic Smeed - Panache - RC Sailboat

Post by tomapowa »

Nice Bob!...
Quite a few fellas I know who live in an over-55 development here in Tiverton started an R/C Sailboat club (Mount Hope Bay Model Yacht Club) ... they race down near the Boat House restaurant located just below the "Villages" in North Tiverton... I hope to take some video for them this year with my FPV quad/camera system... ;)
Neons
Site Admin

Re: Vic Smeed - Panache - RC Sailboat

Post by Neons »

So far today I came up with 6 made in this area. A club in england doubled the size to 60" and uses a class sailboat rig on it. My brother re drafted the plans full size into two sheets. He brought it over and they were beautiful. I would like to see the Tiverton club videos also. Thanks Tom.
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Re: Vic Smeed - Panache - 2 more to Look At

Post by Neons »

My brothers Panache. Zoom in to the cockpit to see mermaids.
Dennis Panache 30 inch.jpg
Here is one by my friend Bob G.
Bob G. Model - Panache (1).jpg
Bob Pacheco