Show us your multi-rotors!!

Multi-Copter Projects - as if one spinning blade wasn't enough fun
HitNRun

Re: Show us your multi-rotors!!

Post by HitNRun »

That was fun at UMASS. I like your X900. The single tail motor seems more responsive than my v-tail. Yet, I still like the added stability I seem to get with the v-tail design though. I'll probably make Carlos's X900 like yours, and see how it flies, and then make any changes that I have to after that, if needed.

I'm going to give Carlos my WL Toys V959 to practice with. Once he gets really good at flying it, THEN probably have him start flying the X900 and his other quads.
He'll get there. ;) He didn't really get a chance to fly any quads because the wind was a little stronger than I expected, unfortunately.
Attachments
nightview tricopter.jpg
0320140218.jpg
Ben Costa
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

I don't have much problems flying in wind. It is a skill that is part of the learning process. Look I flew a Slo Stik in the wind Sunday while others said they would not as it was to windy. . The way I see it is that if you can keep the plane aimed into the wind and actually make headway you can fly it. But getting back to multis, it is harder to learn to fly them than a plane. At least with a plane you can glide if you misjudge a move giving a slight advantage. . Carlos is going to have a hard learning curve pursuing multis.

The only way to learn flying is loads of practice year around a few days a week at least. At the rate he is going at it he may get lucky in about another 5 years if ever. I did exactly that and finally started progression to an average flyer in about 6 years of flying. I still have a lot to go yet.

Now for a good yaw control on a tricopter I think the best way is to get into the bigger sites like FPVLab and Multicopter group and ask about a good tricopter Yaw control. I am sure they are out there. I saw one in eBay half the cost of mine. But asking in the General forums may produce a fair priced unit. Mine was close to $40 for a 3D printer model. I feel was slightly costly. The ones with turnbuckle rods work if it is a quality unit. The one I had was a constant plague as it was a cheap HK that came with the kit.
Bob Pacheco
HitNRun

Post by HitNRun »

For Carlos's X900, I think the v-tail might end up being better. It's more stable and not as responsive as the singe motor/servo mechanism setup.
I'll talk to him about it over the weekend. We'll be going to Sippican this Saturday. I'm going to have him use my V959 and just practice hovering around, off to the side of the gym and maybe take some video with the camera if he's feeling comfortable flying.

Baby steps, right? ;)
Ben Costa
HitNRun

Post by HitNRun »

I started working on that 2nd X900 tricopter for Carlos and Jon. I got a decent amount done considering I started working on it around 11pm and stopped around 2pm, lol. :D

I just need to install he ESC wire extensions and v-tail to the back end.
Then.... time for a maiden! ;)

And then... i'll ad some LED's for night flying. 8-)
I added some extended legs to this one. (Jon's request)
It's a bit taller than mine, lol. ;)
Attachments
1972268_478171845648088_13837370_n.jpg
10153198_478208082311131_1091564698_n.jpg
1977024_478175595647713_954187496_n.jpg
Ben Costa
HitNRun

Post by HitNRun »

Once I go get some more drill bits, I can finish drilling holes into the v-tail and mount it to the frame and the motors to the v-tail.
Probably tomorrow or Tuesday, depending on the weather.

(I hate going out in the rain, hahahahahaha)
Ben Costa
HitNRun

Post by HitNRun »

Well, I got to test fly her Sunday evening. She flies just as well as my other X900. :D
I just have to finish up soldering the LED lights together and she's good to go! ;)

Now i'll be making a 3rd X900 for Carlos's son.
And Gary seemed interested in getting one as well, so these v-tails seem to be quite the hit.

And why not... they fly quite well.
Ben Costa
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Gary mentioned it but he is indecisve right now as he has a large project in mind right now. I did not bring mine to the gym as I feel it was to big in size to fly there. There is still an opening in the club and you should give thought to rejoining while it is still there. Carlos son also. Also due to the amount of multis that may be around this year I feel club restrictions of flying field areas and timing are going to be decided in the near future. It will be inevitable.
Bob Pacheco
HitNRun

Post by HitNRun »

Funny you mention that. I have the money to renew. I was going to talk to Gary about it at Sippican this weekend but kind of spaced it out with all the fun we were having. :oops:

I'll try to catch the next club meeting next Tuesday with Carlos.
I just need to remember to print out a copy of my AMA and bring it with me.
Ben Costa
HitNRun

Post by HitNRun »

And yes, the X900 is a bit large to be flying in the gym.... but I wanted to get in a quick indoor flight to really see how stable it was. And I must say I was definitely happy with how she flies. I made sure I was very careful flying around and mostly just hovered with it 90% of the time. I don't want any accidents.
Gotta love those KK2 boards. ;)

I'll let Gary fly my X900 at the flying field one weekend when I catch him there. Then he can decide if he wants to go that route somewhere down the line.

Carlos has ordered yet another X900 so his son can have one as well.
I think it's their larger size that helps make them so stable compared to the "smaller quads" i've built for Carlos and his son.

I feel like i'm rambling, so that tells me it's time for another cup of coffee. :D
Ben Costa
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

[/quote]
I'll try to catch the next club meeting next Tuesday with Carlos.
I just need to remember to print out a copy of my AMA and bring it with me.[/quote]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tonight there is a meeting. Here is your chance. Ask Carlos to sponsor you again.
Bob Pacheco