Show us your multi-rotors!!

Multi-Copter Projects - as if one spinning blade wasn't enough fun
HitNRun

Show us your multi-rotors!!

Post by HitNRun »

Carlos has kept me fairly busy. :D
Here's some of the multi's i've been working on for Carlos and his son.

Running KK2 boards all around. (still in progress/waiting on the other KK2's to come in)
We're using Spektrum DSM2 on everything to utilize Carlos's Spektrum radio's.

The Scorpion still needs one more tail motor to finish it up.
It'll be using the Y-4 configuration.

I "may" try out the v-tail style to see which is more stable.
I've heard good things about the v-tail vs Y-4.

Jon's quad is RTF, but still using the stock V1.3 firmware that came with the KK2 board until the flashing tool comes in from HK.
I've flown it about a dozen times now, outside. Handles the wind really well but, not quite as stable as he'd like it to be. Probably going to upgrade to the MultiWii Pro boards on his and one other quad to see how much better/stable we can get these bad boys. ;)

Plus.... all those cool features are a definite turn on! 8-)
Attachments
Quadcopter Fleet.jpg
Ben Costa
tomapowa

Re: Show us your multi-rotors!!

Post by tomapowa »

Nice Ben!,
Yeh the MultiWii boards are so much better and easier to update (you can even do using a cheap Bluetooth module plugged into the MultiWii board and your Android-based cellphone (which also needs Bluetooth, and a download of the app) to upload parameters in real-time (well, when landed of course!... lol). I've installed these on quite a few of my smaller quads, including other's quads in our Tiverton club. We ordered 10+ of these (MultiWii Lite) last Christmas for $12 each... Getting some the GPS stuff to work properly on the MultiWii Pro boards are a challenge so if you ever plan to go that direction, use something like the APM 2.6 board which has more features than you will ever need in your lifetime :)

MultiWii Lite:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MWC-MultiWi ... 485d81aba5

FTDI Interface (for programming Firmware and/or setup parameters):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FTDI-Basic-Brea ... 58a81b7b82

Bluetooth Onboard Module:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flight-Control- ... 58a9500a0e

Android App for remotely changing parameters on MultiWii Board:
http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0SO80Z8 ... ltiwiiconf

APM 2.6 ArduPilot/ArduFlyer Autopilot board (Arduino on steroids!)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/APM2-6-APM-Flig ... 2589f4c7db
Attachments
My larger 600 quad with camera gimbal and APM 2.5 autopilot
My larger 600 quad with camera gimbal and APM 2.5 autopilot
Two of my 450 quads (all parts from RCTIMER.com)
Two of my 450 quads (all parts from RCTIMER.com)
MultiWii Lite board...
MultiWii Lite board...
HitNRun

Post by HitNRun »

The APM 2.6 is exactly what i've been looking at the past couple of days.
That's the one i've decided to get for my tricopter. (After I play around with a KK2.1 for awhile
I found one for $54.15 https://dx.com/p/apm2-6-apm-flight-cont ... wd_F84z3Iw
And the module that goes with it for $21.38 https://dx.com/p/zndiy-bry-apm-2-6-flig ... wl4wc4z3Iy

I've got the X900 from HobbyKing. I'm using three 480 size (1400kv) brushless motors with 9" props all around. A little high on the kv rating, but plenty of power for some fun if I want to play around with it. I've got a nice Turnigy 4000mah 30C lipo battery for it as well. I should get a decent 8-10 minutes of flying out of it.

After reading a few dozen reviews and watching just as many videos on youtube of them in action... I can say they are definitely what I want. You're not kidding when you say "they have more features than you will ever need in your lifetime". :D
For $75, it's a no-brainer for anyone who wants their quad to really perform well.

I'm looking into FPV for it. I'll probably start at the base level with a Fatshark V3 system from HobbyKing for $200, get some of those "bluebeam" omni antennas for better signal diversity. http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... cts_id=459

Carlos's son is also big on wanting to use his quad for FPV as well. So his SK450 is the "test dummy" for all of us, really.
I know I want more than what the KK2 board can offer. Their "self level" sucks.. to put it simply. It likes to drift off in one direction no matter what I try to do in the programming end of it. (So I just leave it off and it handles MUCH better) Carlos's son has flown it and doesn't like it at all. He doesn't feel safe flying it in the least bit. Me on the other hand, I can fly it all over the place fairly well. But orientation really takes some getting use to I guess. I have different color props to distinguish front from back, but once you get out 75 feet and further.... it's hit or miss. :D

But then... i'm getting to that age where glasses are a definite necessity, hahahahahaha!
At least for outdoor flying ;)

I think flying FPV will be a lot easier because you're right there at the quad the whole time, flying like you're actually sitting on it. :lol:
Now i'll be able to fly around my neighborhood and freak out the neighbors a bit. :D

Meanwhile, Carlos and Jon will be getting the MultiWii Pro w/ GPS put on their quads. I've been reading and reading and reading on their thread on RCGoups, so i've got a pretty good idea on the programming and dealing with any problems I might encounter with the GPS giving me any trouble. I'm computer savvy anyhow and a quick learner. ;)

I'll update in here with more pictures once HobbyKing decides to ship the rest of the "goodies" to Carlos.
Gotta love shipping from China...... (insert sarcastic remark here). :D
Ben Costa
HitNRun

Post by HitNRun »

PS: You have my "dream radio"... the 12X. :o
That is a sweet piece of machinery right there!

I'm still using my trusty DX7. I've had this thing for about 6 years now.. and it's always been reliable.
I've done all the mods to it as well. DE 'switching' regulator, LED "on" light, 2650mah tx lipo pack.

I only have to charge it maybe once a month... and I fly just about EVERY day! :mrgreen:
Technology.... gotta love it!
Ben Costa
tomapowa

Post by tomapowa »

Nice Ben!... If you have a little more $$, get the LEA-6H GPS instead of the cheaper/less accurate 6M. Works better with APM waypoint precision, position hold and RTL control.

I've gotten into FPV big time late last year... this year I'm going to have a lot of fun with it.
We (Bob & I) also started a FPV forum here in case you didn't see it yet:
viewforum.php?f=23

Honestly, FPV and quads do not mix so well, especially for beginners. FPV is so much easier using an airplane/fixed wing aircraft. The reason?... quads can drift go in ALL directions, fixed wings always move forward/ahead and wander only left/right and up/down... much easier on the human senses... The first few times I tried FPV with a quad, I accidently drifted back into the pits... unsafe for sure! :shock: Late last year I started FPVing with a Bixler foamie pusher and was cool & fun... not one accident. I since bought a SkyEye pusher from HobbyKing... it includes a cool clear dome where you put the camera & gimbal... camera orientation is controlled by the built-in head tracker on my Fatshark Attitude V2 goggles. Maybe one day as I get better with flying quads, I'll try some quad FPVing again...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _pnf_.html
HitNRun

Post by HitNRun »

I guess all those great Quadcopter/Tricopter FPV videos on youtube are misleading then. :(
I'm sure i'll run into you at the flying field this year on a weekend at some point. Maybe i'll get to watch you do some FPV with your Bixler or SkyEye? ;)

Meanwhile, back on "quad talk"... I'll go with the better LEA-6H GPS module. I would rather spend a little more for much better accuracy.
For about $100 I can have a very stable/accurate quad platform that I can do so much more with.

I really want to get into good quality aerial video, which also led to me thinking about using it for FPV. (kills two birds with one stone) But, I agree that it's likely a lot harder to know exactly what's going on outside of the cameras viewing range, which could lead to crashing, or worse, injuring someone. We don't need that happening.

I've been thinking about getting a Bixler II to use for FPV and/or just aerial video footage with a 808 #16 keychain cam.
Start simple, and work my way up as I get better accustomed to flying with FPV.
Although, after looking at the Sky Eye... that plane is SWEET! 2000mm (78.7 inch) wingspan... geez, talk about full on glider territory!
Flaps pre-installed as well.... very nice!

I've been flying for almost 10 years now so my overall (fixed wing) flying skills are fine for cruising around with a keychain cam. It's FPV that'll really bump up my flying skills while trying to maintain a nice smooth and steady flight so the video footage looks at least "somewhat professional" hahahaha. 8-)
I'm sure a decent 3 axis stabilizer will help with that issue though. Hobbyking's got that covered with their OrangeRx 3axis 6 channel receiver.

But we'll talk more about that in the FPV Forum.
Meanwhile..... it's back to working on Carlos's quads for me! :D
He'll be coming by tomorrow after work with a bag full of goodies so all of his quads can be airborne in time for the next indoor flying session at Sippican High School next weekend. :mrgreen: You guys are gonna love the Y650 Scorpion ;)
Ben Costa
tomapowa

Post by tomapowa »

Ben, that Y650 tricopter looks cool... I almost purchased that when it first came out... Love to see it (please don't let Carlos fly it until I can see it... lol)

One thing to note re: DX.com and APM clones... I purchased two APM2.6 clones from DX and RCTimer last year and had issues with both not being able to connect to computer to upgrade firmware. I have a real ArduPilot APM2.6 that works just fine so not too sure what the issue is with the clones. I've used many APM 2.5 clones (ones with built-in compass IC) with no problem, so it appears to be a 2.6 clone issue... messed around with it more tonight and can not get either APM 2.6 clone to download new firmware... huh?? I'm putting an APM 2.5 clone in the SkyEye glider so I can mess with fixed wing waypoints and auto-landings (not to mention FPV).

Check out the FPV forum for some ideas on equipment. The hooded LCD setup I believe is the way to go (goggles are cool but a little confining I find). Bob and I got together a few weeks back at my house and discussed some FPV stuff... I hope to soon do another "FPV Night" at my house in Tiverton, RI (Carlos knows where I live) and you and Carlos are welcomed to stop by. I'm shooting for Wed., March 5th around 6pm if you guys are interested...
Attachments
IMG_3779.JPG
Last edited by tomapowa on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HitNRun

Post by HitNRun »

That sounds like fun!
I'll talk to Carlos tomorrow and see if he's available.

As for Dx.com.... i'll take your word for it and use another source when I buy mine a little later down the road.
These boards (programming mainly) are complicated enough without having unexpected problems while updating firmware and whatnot.

For now the X900 tricopter i'm working on.. (I'm building one for Carlos as well).. will be using the KK2.1 board and i'm still undecided on the firmware I want to go with on it. There's gotta be a dozen to choose from at this point, hahahahaha.

I know we want stability over acro performance, so the beginner firmware will likely be what I choose.
I'm also debating on whether or not I should just convert the X900 to a Y-4 configuration and do away with the servo yaw mechanism.
Too many people have complained about it. It's definitely the "weak link" on the X900 tricopter.

This is the firmware... KK2V1_1V12S1Beginner.zip
Unless you have a better suggestion of course? :D
Attachments
KK2V1_1V12S1Beginner.zip
(130.21 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
Ben Costa
HitNRun

Post by HitNRun »

You weren't kidding about MultiWii Pro boards being a pain in the A**! :x
I don't get any response on the MultiWiiGUI screen when in "real time".

I'm asking around on RCGroups to see if someone can steer me in the right direction. I followed the instruction on the youtube video to a T, but... nope, just not working. I even repeated all the steps 4 different times just in case I missed something somehow... but still the same end result. NOTHING.

This was the youtube video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW1VF8eS4Ac
Attachments
MultiWii GUI.jpg
Ben Costa
HitNRun

Post by HitNRun »

Alright, now i've got the MultiWii Pro board functioning on the GUI program.
I've started wiring the board to the receiver and to the 4 way ESC system.

Once I get the configuration of esc's plugged in the right order... hopefully this thing will arm and throttle up and fly correctly. :D
Ben Costa