Nutball- A Round 12 & 17" Pizza Plane Indoor-Outdoor

Discuss & share your electric-powered airplane projects here!
Neons
Site Admin

Nutball- A Round 12 & 17" Pizza Plane Indoor-Outdoor

Post by Neons »

This is an easy build using any type of foam you have access too. But there are weight penalties if you do not use the preferred foam and glues.I think indoor in smaller sizes under 12" you want 1mm or 2mm Depron available online Search. Another option is the Take Out boxes for outer wing, elevator, and rudder foam. Use 2mm for the center fuselage. It goes together fast and if you have all the ingredients already on the bench it can be put together in as little as 2 days. . It flies very slow if the weight is down.

I use my printer after I size the plan to the diameter that I would like to try. Then I print the plan as a tiled sheet on standard paper. Match the lines and glue the plan together. The thinner foam may need a small carbon fiber spar in it to stiffen the frame. You can use the plan rudder or do as I chose and just draw out a fuselage for side view. The perimeter of the disk should have the thinnest piano wire available for bang protection. Use DuBro Blenderm tape(hinge tape) for the rudder & elevator. Buy or make foam wheels for lightness and a stiff wire landing gear. Tri all the micro servos out and go fly.

The thread is here and it is large. The best way to see it is click a picture and then click Pictures in Thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836389

Free Plan Here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=16

YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tRyLPr ... r1vNKSmRqQ

Vimeo
https://vimeo.com/111813821
Attachments
Ready to launch
Ready to launch
Last edited by Neons on Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Pacheco
tomapowa

Re: Nutball- A Round 17" Pizza Plane Indoor-Outdoor

Post by tomapowa »

Cool Bob... beginning to really miss my foamies.... ;)
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Tom,
Just building up some indoor flyers. Although this 17" size flies outdoor just fine.
Bob Pacheco
tomapowa

Post by tomapowa »

Awesome... I might try doing the same as I have a few foamies hanging around (literally!)... please let me know if you ever plan to go fly indoors (even post here on the forums if you can)... going to really try to make some sessions this year... HONEST! :D
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

You may note the first date I have is Dec 6th at 6-8:30Pm at Sippican school in Marion MA. It should be in the last club newsletter.May be worth a mention. Just a regular size gym. Small works best or something slow and handles well like the Nutball.
Bob Pacheco
tomapowa

Post by tomapowa »

Awesome!... just posted it here:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=138
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Just starting to layout my paint scheme. That is yellow masking tape. When pulled it will be white. I can always color pencil them to rainbows if I decide too. I never know what I am going to end up with. It is dream up a scheme as it goes. I may do the outline as sky blue to blend in with the sky and use contrasting color for the bird.
Attachments
Nutball Paiting (1).jpg
Shaping up as a bird on top
Shaping up as a bird on top
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

My Nutball gets some painting on it. The center section is 4mm and has a thin plastic coat. It is light weight and very ridged. No need for CF spars. The outside winglets and rudder/elevator is 2mm Depron. I had to sand the plastic coat and give it a slight spray of etch primer. All the paint is waterbase otherwise. The hawks are going to love chasing this bird around in there territory.

The only change I made was to drop the Esc down to a 6amp from a 15amp controller. My Whatmeter only shows less than 4 amps with a 7x4 prop and 2s lipoly. I just got in some Nano servos and another 6amp Esc. Now for a 10-12" Nutball.
Attachments
11-2014 Nutball (2).jpg
11-2014 Nutball (1).jpg
IMGP5150.JPG
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Nutball- A Round 12" Pizza Plane Indoor-Outdoor

Post by Neons »

Flew my latest 12 inch Depron Nutball tonight. This one is 2 ounces ready to fly with a 2S 240mah lipoly. I could scrape another fraction of an ounce by putting on smaller diameter landing gear wire and trimming the electronics wires. She was very responsive. It had a very slow stall speed and yet when I punched the throttle I could do flat spins , 1 foot loops, and tight rolls. I even did 3D type hovers. Amazing flier. So this is my indoor flier. The 17 inch flew well but was not as comfortable in the small gym. It still handled well but not as lean as my 12 inch flyer.
Attachments
Depron 2mm center . 1 mm outer winglets. 1mm rudder and elevator. 2 flat carbon stiffeners underneath. 2 nano servos.
Depron 2mm center . 1 mm outer winglets. 1mm rudder and elevator. 2 flat carbon stiffeners underneath. 2 nano servos.
Lady Bug
Lady Bug
Bob Pacheco