3-15-2015 - Nakajima Ki84 Hayate Frank - Alfa Model

Discuss & share your electric-powered airplane projects here!
Neons
Site Admin

3-15-2015 - Nakajima Ki84 Hayate Frank - Alfa Model

Post by Neons »

Hello Guys,
I just finished putting together a Nakajima Ki46 Hayate Frank I bought at a auction. It is an Alfa and was sold by the old company name - Hobby Lobby. Not a big plane and it is super light. (performance). Great looking plane for what I paid for it.The plane looks a lot like a very lean P-47 Thunderbolt. The white bands stand for the home defense of Japan I am starting on a FW 190 next. These go together fast and I build up the hanger with small stuff as I ran out of room for big planes. I am up to 53 flying models right now. The bottom 4 pictures are my model.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No fighter ace of World War II was a deadliner than the pilot of the powerful Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate ('gale'- nicknamed 'Frank' by the Allies). One of the few entirely new fighters developed by Japan once hostilities were under way, the potent Ki-84 climbed faster and was more maneuverable than the American P-51D Mustang and P-47N Thunderbolt. Unfortunately for Japan, this impressive warplane came too late to turn the tide.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What's going on on your workbench?
Attachments
My Model Ki84 (Frank)
My Model Ki84 (Frank)
My Model Ki84 (Frank)
My Model Ki84 (Frank)
My Model Ki84 (Frank)
My Model Ki84 (Frank)
My Model Ki84 (Frank)
My Model Ki84 (Frank)
A-Ki-84-1-fighter-plane.jpg
Ki-84-I Hayate (Frank) 11.jpg
Ki-84-I Hayate (Frank) 9.jpg
Ki-84-I Hayate (Frank) 10.jpg
Ki-84-I Hayate (Frank) 12.jpg
Last edited by Neons on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

4-12-2015 - Nakajima Ki84 Hayate Frank - Flight Alfa Model

Post by Neons »

Maidened this nice model today. Wind was about 15mph. all the controls were set in neutral position. I hand launched it and it flew smoothly straight as an arrow. Being very light the maneuvers were all smooth and quick with the tradition of Japanese aircraft. The GWS brushless motor had enough power to make the plane handle the wind through out the flight. It was not up to par on my level of flying as a powerful and fast fighter. My GWS Zero flies so much faster and hotter. This is a nice setup for a better than average beginner. The plane behaved very well and always smoothly went where ever I wanted to take it. The landing was very smooth with no bad habits. The flight was predictable and uneventful for me. A motor change may be in the future. Videos will be next with a posting.
Last edited by Neons on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

4-12-2015 - Nakajima Ki84 Hayate Frank - Flight Alfa Model

Post by Neons »

2 flights on the plane and it looks sweet in the air. Very well behaved and although lacking performing horsepower it is enjoyable to fly.
Bob Pacheco