4-13-2015 GWS Douglas C-47 Build

Discuss & share your electric-powered airplane projects here!
Neons
Site Admin

Re: 5-5-2015 GWS Douglas C-47 - Cowlings

Post by Neons »

Here is a picture oft the motors and cowlings. You can see the distance from the leading edge. It is 1/2" forward as I made the firewall longer the same measure. I am done covering the plane. I am having a look at panel lines. They would be very light etchings if I do them. I will try under the wing as a test first.

Double Click pictures to Zoom in.
Attachments
5-5-2015 GWS C-47 - Alumiinum Cowls.jpg
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

5-6-2015 GWS Douglas C-47 Aluinum Skin Done

Post by Neons »

These are pictures of the plane just put together static for view. The skin took a lot of time and planning to get it all on. There is a lot of tapering cuts in order to make the aluminum fit properly. Here is an example. Roll a piece of tape out just a 1/2" longer than needed. If for instance the wing panel is 5' across and the tip is 1.5" across you could make 5 strips. Each strip would be about 1 1/8' X 5/8" on the far end. Slit it with a razor and long metal ruler. When taping you need a slight over hang like wallpapering. Hold one corner down and stretch the other end and lay the overlap.

Next I use a 6" X 1/2" square piece of wood sanded smooth. All the sharp corners are broken and sanded. This is a flat burnishing tool for straight flat areas. I use a Magic marker that is round and the end round bullet shape also to burnish the concave parts like the nacelles and wing fillets. You can use a straight thin flexible ruler or tape to help lightly etching in panel lines. Very light lines are good.

I may do some but not a load of them as the plane is small. I have to finish the hinging the control surfaces and connect the servos and receiver soon. My next big job will be making decals. They will pop the plane out when done to a nice visual candy.

More to come. I have other projects going on also.

Double click pictures for Zoom
Attachments
5-6-2015 GWS C-47 - Alumiinum Complete (6).jpg
5-6-2015 GWS C-47 - Alumiinum Complete (5).jpg
5-6-2015 GWS C-47 - Alumiinum Complete (4).jpg
5-6-2015 GWS C-47 - Alumiinum Complete (3).jpg
5-6-2015 GWS C-47 - Alumiinum Complete (2).jpg
5-6-2015 GWS C-47 - Alumiinum Complete (7).jpg
5-6-2015 GWS C-47 - Alumiinum Complete (1).jpg
This Silver Fleet seems to be early. Another choice scheme
This Silver Fleet seems to be early. Another choice scheme
This Eastern logo is later. Here is a choice I am considering.
This Eastern logo is later. Here is a choice I am considering.
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Re: 4-13-2015 GWS Douglas C-47 Build

Post by Neons »

Tried my maiden last week and had a bad squealing sound from the motors. It would start a rollout and one motor stopped and made a scream. At home I bench checked it and the same. Good thing there was no lift off in the flight. I mounted the Esc's with new 18amp Turnigy Plushes countersunk under the wing. Sounds good now. Waiting for the right sunny day for my flight and video.
Attachments
You can also see the servoless retracts here.
You can also see the servoless retracts here.
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Re: 4-13-2015 GWS Douglas C-47 Build

Post by Neons »

I do not know how it will react to the suns heat but I can say that the glue grabs very well. The bad part of foil is it dents easily and sometimes can be rubbed out with a burnish tool and some heat. I think over wood may be better but not perfect with dents. Easily repaired with a new panel though. A plane with some aluminum and much other paint would make a nice looking aircraft. I saw Mustangs done with it and look great.

And finally the finish 5 years later HERE:

viewtopic.php?p=1402#p1402
Bob Pacheco