3-11-2017 Flyzone - Focke Wulf 190A Resto

Discuss & share your electric-powered airplane projects here!
Neons
Site Admin

3-11-2017 Flyzone - Focke Wulf 190A Resto

Post by Neons »

Another Auction purchase aircraft. The plane was in a poor looking shape when I bought it at auction. I arrived early and saw this sad looking Focke Wulf 190A thrown on the floor going up for sale. The fuselage showed worn through camo paint around the most handle places. It had no servos and drive system in it. Later the wing showed up next to it and it was very messy repairs around the retract landing gear. It had a broken strut one side and the other side uses a pair of carbon tubes to hold a landing gear in place with the stiffeners and strength to land the plane. Both carbon rods were broken and the gear on that side moved freely by some strands holding it in place. There was this brown goop spattered on the wing to try to fix it with no luck. Really messy looking. A lot of the foam was all bare of paint.

So the auction came and the bids were not there. One $5 bid. I upped it to $10. No other takers so it was my prize. To top it off the wings had all 3 servos for the flaps. ailerons and retract gear installed. Even better. I found that all the 3 controls worked later at home. Now this is not the only thing. Someone brought in about 20 wings and had the all for free. I found a pretty good pair of Me-109 wings in the same scale in the box. So the cost for all was $10 for the day. A very rewarding day. See the picture of the goods.

Click a couple times to ZOOM
Attachments
2-19-2017 Used Focke Wulf 190 (0).jpg
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Re: 3-11-2017 Flyzone - Focke Wulf 190A Resto

Post by Neons »

So after looking it all over to determine if I would make a belly lander out of the plane I found everything working good in the wing although beat. I stiffened the flaps with thin balsa sheet.I Dremelled out the broken landing gear on one side after cutting out the foam around the bad one. So I looked up parts for the plane. Landing gear $12. Spinner $6. Scale like prop S10. Then the search for a powerful motor. I found they use the big Hextronic type 850 motor. I then searched eBay. Lo and behold there was a fairly new motor and 40amp ESC from a maiden wrecked Hobbyzone Beaver. Same setup for $24. Ordered that too.

After all came in I drilled the broken Carbon landing gear shafts out of the wing root. Got the new replacement mounted in place with Gorilla glued and clamped overnight for a good glue setup. Mounted the motor and ESC and all the electronics in place along with 2 servos on hand. Painted the spinner and spiraled it. Got everything trimmed ready to fly. All the foam was place in the areas that was removed and Lite Spackled. The paint was trialed and erred to get the correct shades of the 3 colors. Spent time matching and filling flaws. After it was done it got a light over spray of waterbase flat clear polyurethane paint. Then the photos below. Just a couple little things to do and it is ready. Nice small project and a good value.

Click to ZOOM
Attachments
2-19-2017 Used Focke Wulf 190 (1).jpg
2-19-2017 Used Focke Wulf 190 (2).jpg
2-19-2017 Used Focke Wulf 190 (4).jpg
2-19-2017 Used Focke Wulf 190 (3).jpg
Bob Pacheco
ccosta
Site Admin

Post by ccosta »

Wow Bob,
I have the same plane.... We need to fly them together this year! See you soon. I will call you in a day or two to make arrangements to get together this week before my last cruise. See you soon. Always good to see your work, you are a capable builder.
Carlos
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Thanks Carlos. I can make crap look appetizing. I finished your wing also.
Bob Pacheco