Martin Mars XPB2M-1R Scratchbuild - 1943-123 inch Wingspan

Discuss & share your electric-powered airplane projects here!
Blip

Re: Martin Mars XPB2M-1R Scratchbuild - 1943

Post by Blip »

Bob , thanks for taking the time yesterday to show me the Martin. That wing is huge and all those panel lines,my god. Can't wait to see it fly. Thanks again.....Don. P.S. You're going to need a bigger hanger soon!!!! :shock:
D.M.L.
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Wing & Elev. Service Walkways
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I masked off the wing and elevator walkways that were a darker color so the maintainance mechanics did not walk all over the wing and cause damages to the skin. You can see the blue painters tape masking the light blue to be painted. The color is dark blue almost like the tape color.

In the 2nd picture with tape removed on the 2 parts it came out good but looked to strong of a dark blue image. I gave it a light overspray with the lighter blue and it tamed it down to a nice softer color. Not shown in the pictures. I got the plug in wings almost all panel lined. The blue walkways have a flat black edge which looks neat. I am duplicating a image drawing showing these lines and also in a picture. I am now on the center wing. The tail is done. Looks like a few more days drawing and shading lines.
Attachments
Another view. There was also a walk on the elevator.
Another view. There was also a walk on the elevator.
Finished the spray on the 2 parts.
Finished the spray on the 2 parts.
Ready to spray the dark blue.
Ready to spray the dark blue.
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Paint Progress
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Tom,
I'll see you Saturday at the airport. I have been working the lines and about 3/4's of the way done. I will be showing the Mars and some others as a work in progress. I had to make my own portholes and stars as my printer is down over a week already. I used Frisket paper and it was not too bad. It is time consuming way to do it too.

I still have to do numbers on the tailfins when my printer is up. Maybe in a couple days I can do it. I also have to get some dummy motors from Steve at Parkflyer Plastics. i think that is the name. Maybe a little light weathering and exhaust streaks too. If I get some pictures tomorrow I'll post some.
Attachments
5-18-12 Paint Progress (2).jpg
5-18-12 Paint Progress (1).jpg
5-18-12 Paint Progress (0).jpg
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

We all had a very nice day with a rated 10 for weather. I loaded up my truck with 7 planes. 6 were all scratchbuilt E-power foam and composite construction. I had my Emily and Mars as the biggest planes. Then I also brought 2 -1/6th scale Bf-109G-6, FW 190D-9, and smaller Kawasaki Ki45 Nick, and Grumman Hu-16a USCG Albatros flying boat. I small GWS Warthog also. You can see the little placards in front of my group of planes

I had them all lined up in the Flag circle we were assigned. I think we had over 8K people show up there today. Our club did a phenomenal appearance. There were many nice planes there but only allowed for static display. I am beat from all that sun which is what made the day. All my nice pictures are stuck in the camera memory and I can't extract them as I cannot find the wire. I forgot my SD card at home.
Attachments
5-19-12 FW190 - Albatros- Hog.JPG
5-19-12 NB Air Day (9).jpg
5-19-12 NB Air Day (8).jpg
5-19-12 NB Air Day (7).jpg
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Martin Mars XPB2M-1R Scratchbuild - 1943

Post by Neons »

6-21-2012 Mars Motors Runnup

6-21-2012 Mars Motors Runnup --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Got more painting done. Doing panel lines is a lot of work. I really enjoyed the challenge. Painting is the best part for me. So after I finished all the shading with my airbrush I stuck it together for a motor run demo and paint photo shoot out in the yard. The motors ran very well. I only ran them on 1 - 4S 5000Mah battery. I did not check the charge on it. There will be 2 of these to get her in CG balance. They weigh about 1lb each.

I just have a few things to add. The top hatch has a radar antenna and a range finder. I need it also to lift te hatch off. The stbd. radial motors are on order yet. I have to trim the ailerons yet. Spray the bottomside with a white overspray to soften the panel lines. I forgot to do the airbrushing on the floats also. Very close to finished. It can fly now when these are done. Then video time.
**Neons**Bob

Motor Runnup Video Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa53SivuIPc

Attachments
6-21-12 Finish Panel Lines (8).jpg
6-21-12 Finish Panel Lines (7).jpg
6-21-12 Finish Panel Lines (6).jpg
6-21-12 Finish Panel Lines (5).jpg
6-21-12 Finish Panel Lines (4).jpg
6-21-12 Finish Panel Lines (3).jpg
6-21-12 Finish Panel Lines (2).jpg
6-21-12 Finish Panel Lines (0).jpg
Bob Pacheco
tomapowa

Post by tomapowa »

Wow again Bob!.... Those panel lines add sooooo much detail... beatifully done!
Be sure to email/post when you plan to maiden her... would love to see and film for you.
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Hi Tom,
I could not stand all those walls of blue and the white bottoms. I had to do it. The only thought I had with a laugh was putting on the smoke on the wings. What madness is it to take a perfectly good plane and splash smoke on the wings? Thanks.
Bob Pacheco
tomapowa

Post by tomapowa »

Agree... let nature take its course!
(you'll soon have a streak of dead bug parts flowing behind the props anyway... lol)

When you figure the maiden is possible? I might maiden my big electric Sukhoi this Sunday (suppose to be a perfect day, plus my 8000maH 6s packs came in yesterday!)
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

It is not a final planned day yet.. It will be on a closely picked day when I feel up to it. Most likely a working day morning not to well publicized when activity is low at the Dave's boat ramp. it definetly won't be a holiday or weekend day. Talk about being decisive. :?:
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Hi Tom
I have had a few setbacks with unrelatrd demands and the unsettled loss of my brother. Things turned to an overwhelming situation here. I still have to check my elevator horns and it will be ready. In the meantime I have been flying many land planes, When I do test the plane it will get videoed with my hat cam and posted the same day.
Thanks,
Bob Pacheco