9-2-2012 GWS A10 Warthog- Downed in Cornfield

Discuss & share your electric-powered airplane projects here!
Neons
Site Admin

9-2-2012 GWS A10 Warthog- Downed in Cornfield

Post by Neons »

A GWS A-10 Warthog that has been modified for strength using many carbon fiber rods and arrowshaft. The motors were made in 2004 from old CDRom drives and adapted to the stock GWS ducted fans. They use many anps to run. How did I really know what I was doing back then? They run good but are limited in flight time with a Turnigy 11.1v 2200Mah lipoly 20C. I guess they are only sentimental value today.
10-14-2004 Making Brushless motor.JPG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLmvfWqa28g
Attachments
GWS_A-10_Warthog_-Desert_Camo Nose.jpg
GWS_A-10_Warthog_-Desert_Camo.jpg
GWS_A-10_Warthog_-Desert_Camo_(4).jpg
GWS_A-10_Warthog_-Desert_Camo_(6).jpg
GWS_A-10_Warthog.jpg
Last edited by Neons on Wed May 20, 2015 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Re: 9-2-2012 GWS A10 Warthog- Downed in Cornfield

Post by Neons »

By running a sight lineup with the trees seen in the video and a boxed in area with line it was found. Running the line up a distance in the corn rows and turing 90 deggrees down and repeating. I was able to fence in the area the plane went in. Then I walked a grid pattern up and down the rows and almost stepped on the plane. It had the wing knocked of its pins and a broken wing tip. The plane was repaired and color matched and is once again flying the field. The strengthning with long carbon rods in the fuselage held up very well. A UBEC may be a necessity in this plane to prevent reciever loss again.
Bob Pacheco