Carl Goldberg - Piper Cub. Gas to E-power Conversion

Discuss & share your electric-powered airplane projects here!
Neons
Site Admin

Carl Goldberg - Piper Cub. Gas to E-power Conversion

Post by Neons »

This is a conversion I did last year with a 30 YOA old Cub that my friend owned. It was for the most part pretty solid as it was all built heavy with epoxy. So all the joints are very solid I have only flown this plane a few times as I was busy doing other things. I had a fair setup with LiFe batteries I accidently bought not looking at the type. So the plane flew modestly on land with the clipped wing. I was never satisfied with the performance. Now by chance I bought a nice used motor at a club meeting from the late Manny Arruda collection. I set it in the plane and tried a 4S - 14.8v battery on the plane. It really revved up with the 12x8 Master Airscrew and 470watts @ 32amps. So here is this day before Thanksgiving doing the motor test and flaps. I just need to fly it more to get familiar with it now. It has plenty of power now. Very satisfied now. This is a copy module from a news magazine I found on the web. 3 pages from the designer are here.

The Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRJw8eFH2sw

The Re-build Log Here. Explained with more pics.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1420773

Hope you enjoy and pick up some info here.
Attachments
I have 2 wings duplicate. Clipped and full wing.
I have 2 wings duplicate. Clipped and full wing.
New Battery Mounting Sys. 03.jpg
New Battery Mounting Sys. 02.jpg
New Battery Mounting Sys. 01.jpg
7-10-12 PiperCub Long Wing (0).jpg
Last edited by Neons on Sun May 17, 2015 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Re: Carl Goldberg - Piper Cub. Gas to E-power- Flight Report

Post by Neons »

My Cub is flying great these days. The plane is flying better than ever after the last few trim flights. The full size wing is a floater wing. She will bypass the landing site with no power on dead stick. Just keeps going. Half flaps help some at about 28 degrees. But full flaps around 80 degrees does the job. Of course I got it dialed in now. Mixed in a degree down elevator in with the flaps for landing. Nice now.

The clipped wing flies better and easier to land also. This is a heavy A** plane. The guy that put it together I guess wanted it to last forever. It is totally built it with epoxy. Ridiculous. But as heavy as it is it maneuvers well and goes through decent amount of wind with authority. Did I say a Piper Cub with flaps. Yep! So what. Great addition.
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Re: Carl Goldberg - Piper Cub. Gas to E-power Conversion

Post by Neons »

Take a look at my later built Nieuport 28 in the electric airplane posts. I have used the same format of nose assembly to access the batteries, electronics, and motor. It works great with radials also.
Bob Pacheco