Nieuport 28c 1/4 Scale - Proctor Museum kit- Electric Build

Discuss & share your electric-powered airplane projects here!
Neons
Site Admin

Nieuport 28c 1/4 Scale - Proctor Museum kit- Electric Build

Post by Neons »

I purchased a partially built Proctor kit at a swap meet last October 7th. Almost all the frame parts were in the box. The fuselage was done in the bare wood state also. I was missing the plans, struts, and cowl. Of course all the options like dummy motor, cowling, guns, and wheels. So that was last year. It is a !/4 size with a 82 inch wingspan.

Since then I have got a new set of plans and a manual plus all the parts listed above. The motor is a Tacon 150 which I believe more in equivelant to a 35cc gas motor. I got a 19x10 wood prop for it. It actually uses a 20x10 prop. I figure I will have plenty of power with the smaller prop and draw less amps while I am at it. The plane is in very nice shape considering it was probably built a lot of years ago. The color of the beautiful woods in the kit have darkened to a mellow color showing it has been around awhile. There are 6 different woods in this model It was designed to be shown as an exhibit in museums or business lobbies uncovered to emphasize the construction of the intricately cut pieces to show the anatomy . This is not an easy build here.

The plans uploaded here are just a relative plan to the plane but not Proctor plans. The give some insight to the plane. The other is a paper plane for color references. Buildable too.

I found a rare flight of a Nieuport 28c here. This is the real plane not a replica. Have a look and listen to the motor too. It was flown in the 90's in the USA.
http://www.wwi-models.org/Photos/Fre/Nie28/index.html

I found an all metal frame and cloth near Replica of a Nieuport 28c. The real thing.

The construction in time lapse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaotIR0nMW4

#1 The flight -Taxi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22wQilVOcUY

#2 The flight- Up to the sky.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKG-HGdrqqo
Attachments
Nieuport_28c_-ww-1_don_mcgovern-Ziroli.pdf
Ziroli Plans
(1.07 MiB) Downloaded 482 times
instructions.pdf
(1.49 MiB) Downloaded 513 times
regular.pdf
Nieuport 28c - Paper model
(585.25 KiB) Downloaded 498 times
Yw67941.jpg
photos_1223363689.jpg
LeRhone 9Cyl. Runnup.mp3
Listen to the real motor here. No Throttle. Spark controlled makes it pop at different rpm's.
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 611 times
Last edited by Neons on Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Re: Nieuport 28c 1/4 Scale - Getting Started on the Nose Se

Post by Neons »

So I have started to work on my Nieuport28c kit. This is the one I bought in a swap meet at Bradley International Air Museum, CT last fall.. I waited until now to post the pictures once I gathered enough of the required parts to start on the plane. I have invested a substantial amount up to here. In the pictures of all the materials there are a Talon 150 motor with a 19x10 prop plus 2 spare props.

A high voltage 80amp ESC. No BEC. A pair of Williams Bros 6 5/8 inch wheels. A 9 cyle LeRhone partial motor cylinders. 2 Vickers guns. Cockpit coaming material. A full set of Cabane struts that replace the missing ones. A new full set of plans and instruction manual with parts list. A plastic cup with all the remaining turnbuckles and tabs. A new 10 inch aluminum cowling which I had to machine out the entrance hole for the motor.

The existing plane with the wings and tails, along with the fuselage. This plane was one of the first kits built many years ago and evidently layed around for years. The natural wood has a darkened patina along with its age. I still have to get a pair of 5000 - 5S lipoly batteries later before I finish the plane. I will use around 37 volts to run the motor. The Battery box area is not done yet. I have a couple brass angle strips to be screwed to the firewall and box frame. When the whole box is slipped in place a brass rod passes through it in the heavy fuselage frame parts. There is no way for it to slide out under power. It makes for easy maintainence and batteries swap or removal. In the last picture there is a rod passed through. The box has a brass tubing that guides it through the plywood. Simple and easy.

Notice the elevator ribs. Mice chewed them away. There are mice eaten wood in different areas of the plane too. Not to bad. Knaw marks in the fuselage near the firewall and in the wings also. It will not hurt to much and can't be seen when covered.
Attachments
The middle slide rod passes through the box for holding or releasing the whole nose and battery access. More work to be done yet
The middle slide rod passes through the box for holding or releasing the whole nose and battery access. More work to be done yet
Plenty of battery space for 2 large batteries and a slip latch.  2 angled brass stock to be bolted to box sides and through the firewall also for strength.
Plenty of battery space for 2 large batteries and a slip latch. 2 angled brass stock to be bolted to box sides and through the firewall also for strength.
Plenty of lightning and cooling holes
Plenty of lightning and cooling holes
Battery tray slides in and out like a drawer. Snug fit.
Battery tray slides in and out like a drawer. Snug fit.
Air intake slot for battery cooling. Also along the bottom
Air intake slot for battery cooling. Also along the bottom
Cowling Fit. I  need 1/2 inch mount standoffs
Cowling Fit. I need 1/2 inch mount standoffs
That wing is 82 inches span after mounted.
That wing is 82 inches span after mounted.
Hey! Those are 6 5/8 inch wheels there.
Hey! Those are 6 5/8 inch wheels there.
Everything I need to get it all together less covering.
Everything I need to get it all together less covering.
Nieuport 28c All Parts (0).jpg
Bob Pacheco
tomapowa

Re: Nieuport 28c 1/4 Scale - Proctor Museum kit- Electric B

Post by tomapowa »

Nice Bob!... looks well designed and built... should be a floater too!
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Thanks Tom,
We shall see. It will be a while later this spring I will know more about finishing this plane.

I was able to get the firewall done and the ESC and motor mounted on standoffs. Looks pretty good and solid. The ESC is a high voltage 80 amps. I ordered 2 - 5000mah 5s 65C lipoly batteries today also. Linked together they will be at 37volts. I guess I may start on the 9 cylinder dummy motor crankcase next.
Attachments
2-23-2013 Nieuport 28c- E Motor (3).jpg
2-23-2013 Nieuport 28c- E Motor (2).jpg
2-23-2013 Nieuport 28c- E Motor (1).jpg
2-23-2013 Nieuport 28c- E Motor (0).jpg
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Re: Nieuport 28c 1/4 Scale - LeRhone Dummy Motor

Post by Neons »

I have got a few more items worked on like my 160 Talon motor and a HV 80amp ESC mounted. The battery tray is finished for now and slips in snug. It locks in nicely with no movement also. The motor is extended 1 inch to get a proper clearance beyond the cowling. I had to cut the cowling center out on my lathe last week. I had problems locating a 10 inch cowling and found it at Radical RC. It is close and will have to do. Half the cost of Proctors also. Proctors had none in stock either. I got the William brothers 9cyl LeRhone engine cylinders in also. They do not have a crankcase listed or I could not find one. So I built up a wood, plastic, paper, and bamboo parts to make my own. You will notice the center of the LeRhone motor has a large diametor hole there. It is for my large 35cc Talon motor. It has 1/8th inch clearance all around and it allows cooling also. I sprayed a light coat of aluminum paint onto the radial motor. It came out nice. Not done yet though. Ignition wires, nuts and bolts, and a firewall mounting to get it in place.

The cowling has to be fitted in place after I finish it up this week. Then I am going to have to survey the whole plane for regluing joints. I found some plywood skin had stated to lift up in places. Some fuselage stringers were loose too. So after regluing the plane I want to get both wings mounted. I have a box of brass fittings and turn buckles also. I have a feeling some may be missing. I'll find out then. There are the gun blisters missing but I have a new pair of Vickers guns. I may have to make the blisters with a mold. So that is pretty well up to date for now.
Attachments
2-24-2013 Nieuport 28c- LeRhone Assembly (5).jpg
2-24-2013 Nieuport 28c- LeRhone Assembly (4).jpg
2-24-2013 Nieuport 28c- LeRhone Assembly (3).jpg
2-24-2013 Nieuport 28c- LeRhone Assembly (2).jpg
Homemade crankcase is wood, olasstic, paper, and bamboo strips. Then a coat of epoxy and glass.
Homemade crankcase is wood, olasstic, paper, and bamboo strips. Then a coat of epoxy and glass.
2-24-2013 Nieuport 28c- LeRhone Assembly (0).jpg
Bob Pacheco
tomapowa

Post by tomapowa »

Wow Bob.. that dummy radial engine looks awesome! Great job... love to see this baby fly this summer.
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Tom,
Thanks. It looks great. The crankcase out of misc material is very convincing. It is a great advantage over nitro motors. No holes and mufflers. Cleaner too.
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Setting the fit of the lower wing is a lot of shaving and fitting to get it to sit right. I was missing some brass plates for the torsion rods that hold the wing in place. Next time was in the anchor plates for the the turnbuckles that lead up under the upper wing to get it snug and all lined up. It will be like tuning and instrument when the day comes soon. There is 28 turnbuckles to affix. This plane is all art work. I worked on the port and starboard side covers also today. They are not shown here. It is a long process and not a lot to show for at this time. Notice all the different woods in this plane. Very little balsa wood.
Attachments
A lot of complex cutting and fitting up the lower wing mounting along with the turnbuckle mounts.
A lot of complex cutting and fitting up the lower wing mounting along with the turnbuckle mounts.
This used to have air flow through here. It was blocked an directed up into the battery box areas
This used to have air flow through here. It was blocked an directed up into the battery box areas
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Re: Nieuport 28c 1/4 Scale - Wire Stays assemble dry fit pl

Post by Neons »

I got to install the wire stays in place and it sure stiffens up the plane quite a lot. I also got to stick parts on the plane to have a dry run look at the plane overall looks and size. Plans will be to put as much as I can together and then take it apart to do the covering. That may be some time to go though. The rudder and elevator need a lot of work to rebuild the rodent damages. I have the push pull control cables on order also.
Attachments
3-14-2013 Wire Stays Fitted (4).jpg
3-14-2013 Wire Stays Fitted (3).jpg
3-14-2013 Wire Stays Fitted (2).jpg
3-14-2013 Wire Stays Fitted (1).jpg
3-14-2013 Wire Stays Fitted (0).jpg
Bob Pacheco
tomapowa

Post by tomapowa »

Looking great Bob!... lots of effort that will pay off in the end... :D