Nieuport 28c 1/4 Scale - Proctor Museum kit- Electric Build

Discuss & share your electric-powered airplane projects here!
Neons
Site Admin

Re: Nieuport 28c 1/4 Scale - Proctor Museum kit- Electric B

Post by Neons »

Tom,
Great looking aircraft. I have not weighed my plane yet. Maybe next week if I get it back together again then. I am kind of afraid to weigh it in.
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Re: Nieuport 28c - Fuselage Markings Painted on

Post by Neons »

I made computer patterns for the number 12 and the Hat and the Ring. Transferred them and painted all 4 over the last 5 days. Measuring in the photo program and fitting had to be done first for the correct sizes and placements.
Attachments
1-27-2014 Fuselage Markings (1).jpg
1-27-2014 Fuselage Markings (2).jpg
Bob Pacheco
Darthader

Post by Darthader »

Looks great Bob, Lotta work I'll bet. No foam here. Joe Gubler. out
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Hello Joe,
These planes take an enormous amount of time to build. I will be glad to get back to foamies. Life is easier that way for me. But I will at least have another great built up plane. I am on another project for a little while before I get back here.

Her is a fantastic donation from Gerry Dupont. It is an Aces of Iron bust. Look them up. They are so real life looking. Gerry airbrushed this bust and did such a great artwork on it. The leather jacket , sheepskin collar and flesh tones are so realistic. The eyes look real with a penetrating look. Thanks goes to Gerry on this pilot. He will be a centerpiece and I am sure many will comment on him.

Thanks for your pleasing compliments. Welcome to the Club Threads.
Attachments
Aces of Iron  WWI Bust
Aces of Iron WWI Bust
Bob Pacheco
tomapowa

Post by tomapowa »

Awesome bust Bob/Gerry!
Neons
Site Admin

Re: Nieuport 28c........Add a Motor Sound

Post by Neons »

I may install this in my Nieuport 28 after the plane is flown to determine if it can handle the extra weight. Listen to this LeRhone rotary 9 cylinder sound attached. It sure would sound nice as a demo in a preflight or landing my model. Add machine guns. Very easy to build and install on a plane. Even just 1 speaker in a small plane. It can be toggled through an extra channel switch on a transmitter. This attached sound has so much character. Many people never heard a WWI motor sound from an actual rotary engine that was commonly used in that era with ignition cylinder cutout to try to control takeoff and landing speed. Imagine all that motor weight rotating and causing a terrific torque sideways throw.

My online scratch building friend shows you how right here with any sound of your choice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU0apYAgunQ

Here is another for small park fliers.
I bought one of these white box for sound on a model. Great for a small plane, cars muti copters, trains. Run it off the existing battery in the plane to save weight. Velcro to a model. Maybe just over 1 oz. Savings. Watch the video. I bet it can be amplified with another amplifier board too. Maybe some Huey Wop! Wop! Sounds for my Quad copter.
http://www.invitebyvoice.com/sound-box- ... white.html

Ther volume is low so I am trying an amplifier boost with a larger speaker and lipo battery.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-x-LM386-Ch ... v4exp=true

or this cheapy
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAM8403-Ultra-M ... v4exp=true
Attachments
LeRhone 9Cyl. Runnup.mp3
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 355 times
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Nieuport 28c 1/4 Scale - Motor ,Battery, Electronics

Post by Neons »

Been busy on setting up a full multicopter setup for FPV and a couple smaller park flyers. But, I got a chance to wire up the batteries and the UBEC with switches to the reciever and to activate the batteries when ready to fly. The ESC switch also acts as a safety Off and to start up when ready to fly from a standby. I tested the motor and all is working great.

I have a little more bracing and figuring out the umbilicle chord when I pull the module out to change batteries. All I have to do now in electronics is put the reciever in place and it is all connected to go when ready. I have the cockpit to work on next and windshield then it is the re-install the wings and tail.
Attachments
4-17-2014 Motor Wiring.jpg
4-17-2014 Motor Wiring (1).jpg
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Re: Nieuport 28c 1/4 Scale- Mount wings, setup wires, and l

Post by Neons »

Spent the 4th of July working on the wire stays. The weather is raining as an offshore hurricane Arthur passed well off. After mounting the lower wing the upper fuselage to the lower wing stays are installed. The upper wing is bolted to the center struts. The Cabane struts force pressure to the lower wing when forced into place. The lower stays hold firm and the pressure forces the upper wing to form a dihedral as per the plan. Then all the rest of the wire stays go in place but just snug.

Next I used 2 aluminum flat flat trims from a window ad lashed them to the wings upper and lower. The fuselage tail was blocked up to a level state. I put a small machinist and carpenters level on the aluminum trim flat stock. Level the wings for straightness and repeat the both sides upper and lower. After it is all tuned I have to lace a fine wire through each turnbuckle to lock them in place so they do not unscrew in flight from vibration. Sure looks purrty. Still have more to do. Mostly details.
Attachments
7-14-2014 Wire Stays and Leveling (0).jpg
7-14-2014 Wire Stays and Leveling (1).jpg
Using bubble levels to chech straightness and any warpage.
Using bubble levels to chech straightness and any warpage.
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Happy 4th of July Everyone,
Got the wing wire stays on with well secured wings now and I shot an outdoor group of pictures. Here are a few.
1/4 Scale Nieuport 28c - WWI Ace- Eddie Rickenbacker scheme with War Bond posters on the wings as the original had. 80" span. Many details to finish yet.
Great Weekend. Enjoy.
Attachments
7-4-2014 Nieuport 28c (6).jpg
7-4-2014 Nieuport 28c (10).jpg
7-4-2014 Nieuport 28c (9b).jpg
Bob Pacheco
tomapowa

Post by tomapowa »

Looking nice Bob... can't wait to see it in the air!