What's on your bench??

Discuss & share your glow-powered airplane projects here!
Neons
Site Admin

Re: What's on your bench??

Post by Neons »

Thank you guys. It looks like this stuff is almost like covering material I used on my 'Lil Bogey'. I will pick some up.
Bob
Bob Pacheco
chistech

Post by chistech »

Hi Bob, yes, Tom is right, we do cut the stencils out right on the surface of the plane. The design is drawn lightly with pencil on the plane then the frisket film is laid over the top. It has a light adhesive that will hold it real good but one has to burnish the edges down just before painting to prevent any bleed under then remove it quickly right after the paint is laid down. At least this is how Gerry does it and I'm sure he's right. ;) I got to his "hanger" today to do more stenciling and painting. Below are the shots of the Skyraider. It is looking so good. Just some finishing of the hinging and then it's time for exhaust streaking and panel lines. Hope to have it all done for Tuesday the 7th.

Tom, thanks for the link to Michaels. I believe they also sell it in a larger roll. It is awesome stuff and I think every plane I build I will paint my markings. They will never peel off.
Attachments
Really love the gray/blue on the top deck and leading edges.
Really love the gray/blue on the top deck and leading edges.
skyraider 023.jpg
skyraider 024.jpg
skyraider 025.jpg
skyraider 027.jpg
Ted Brito
tomapowa

Post by tomapowa »

Colors look awesome Ted... especially that blue/grey.... nice!
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Beautiful work there. You know I have 3 airbrushes. My Paasche is the best with many needle sizes and nozzles for all type painting it is 2 stage. I have a cheapy from Job Lot that I enlaged the nozzle a little It has a bottle and siphon spray single stage. It is good for massive large area coatings. them I have another like Paashe single action on a bottle also. My favorite for ease of use is the one the that looks like Paasche. Cheap single throw and it works with my arthritic finger easily. I used it today to do my GWS Rufe. I love airbrushung . It is simple after you get used to it. The more you use it the better you get at it.
Bob
Bob Pacheco
tomapowa

Post by tomapowa »

Ted,
Just curious... what type of paint are you guys using?

p.s. Oh yeh, for what it is worth... Michael's is having a 25% off sale.. only today unfort:
http://www.michaels.com/c/012912-WWW-US,default,pg.html

They also have a 40% Off One Item coupon there too! (again, only good today, Jan 29th, it looks)
http://weeklyad.michaels.com/stores/3711/coupons
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Thanks Tom,
I am heading down there very soon . I can get the 1/64" plywood today. It is normally $16. The 40% off is a better price. Frisket paper also. Maybe some more craft paint. All my planes use craft paint sealed in with Oil Poly Miniwax satin on all my planes. I use waterbase Poly on my smaller planes or for laying 0.75oz glass on foamies. It strengthens for ding resistance and a bit stronger but not as strong as epoxy glass. use baby powder mix for a good sanding base. Can't do that with nitro, I think.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Update. I went to Michaels and got a couple things. Nice 1/64' - .039 plywood. They did not have Frisket paper there. They did not even know what it was. Went across the way to A. C. Moore and they had it. It runs $22. for 1' X 12' roll.
Bob
Last edited by Neons on Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Pacheco
chistech

Post by chistech »

Hi Tom,
All the paint is 2 part epoxy. The black and red we used is the older K&B Super Poxy that is no longer made. All the rest is the new paint we've purchased by Klass Kote. Gerry says it covers better than anything he's used especially the aluminum color. We use a lot of the aluminum on our floats and stuff and it's coverage has been great with real even color.

Ted
Ted Brito
tomapowa

Post by tomapowa »

Awesome... Thanks Ted! I never sprayed with 2-part epoxy before... always a first I guess! (+ I have a brand new dual action Badger airbrush still in the package... time to maybe break it out!) I've done some simple brushing years ago when I was into foamies and stuff but never used a dual action... Time to maybe bite the bullet! :shock:
chistech

Post by chistech »

Penciled out some panel lines and started learning how to use the airbrush for panel lines. Gerry did the exhaust streaking and the hinging. Just a few more panel lines and then reassembly of everything. Maybe less than a week away.
Attachments
More panel lines painted and exhaust streaking done. Just a few more lines to do and it's all done.
More panel lines painted and exhaust streaking done. Just a few more lines to do and it's all done.
Full view with panel lines and exhaust.
Full view with panel lines and exhaust.
Up close of some panel line and dive brake details.
Up close of some panel line and dive brake details.
Up close of the exhaust streaking done.
Up close of the exhaust streaking done.
Wing panel lines all penciled in.
Wing panel lines all penciled in.
Some side panels penciled in.
Some side panels penciled in.
Ted Brito
chistech

Post by chistech »

Few small items to add and ready to balance. Then it's the maiden.
Attachments
Skyraider 043.jpg
Skyraider 040.jpg
Skyraider 038.jpg
Ted Brito