What's on your bench??

Discuss & share your glow-powered airplane projects here!
chistech

Re: What's on your bench??

Post by chistech »

Next in line with my 1/8 airforce is my Tettra Shinden Kai or better known as a George. WWII fighter aircraft. Originally designed as a 4-5 (retracts) plane it is now a 6ch. I got rid of the strip ailerons and designed scale ailerons with full flaps. Electric retracts, custom welded metal Oleo struts with full doors, both outer and inner with mechanical linkage to close. Currently now being glassed and will be painted soon. Powered with another trusted Saito .65. Really nice Japanese made kit which is only available in Japan, not here in the states.

Note: I included a picture from the box of a finished "George". That is not mine but it will look like that.

Ted
Attachments
te-00247-shidenkai.jpg
te-00247-shidenkai.jpg (27.04 KiB) Viewed 9274 times
IMG-20140814-00363.jpg
IMG-20140823-00411.jpg
IMG-20140828-00433.jpg
Ted Brito
tomapowa

Post by tomapowa »

Real Nice Ted!.... love the detail on the retract wheel doors! :)
chistech

Post by chistech »

It's got those damn expensive ($8 ea.) electric retracts from HK! LOL They work great for this size airplane and have metal trunnions. All glass, primed and being spot puttied right now. Will be in paint in a week or so.
Attachments
Sanded, same as the other picture.
Sanded, same as the other picture.
Sanded, needing spot putty and resin touch up for the sanded through spots. Luckily not many
Sanded, needing spot putty and resin touch up for the sanded through spots. Luckily not many
Primed and not sanded yet
Primed and not sanded yet
Primed, not sanded yet
Primed, not sanded yet
Ted Brito
chistech

Post by chistech »

Here's an update. With tutoring and help from the master painter (I said "painter) the Shinden Kai has been coming along nicely. I've painted a lot of this one with Gerry also do some "therapy painting" as he calls it. (time away from his tedious scrim sham work). He's a master at the weathering and it's starting to show. Still have more weathering to go and a few more painted details. Getting closer. The pictures don't do it justice. It looks more like a scale plastic model than an RC plane. Everything is Klass Kote paint. All markings were stencils cut by me either with frisket paper or tape. All panel lines were taped off and painted also. I can actually say I've probably painted about 75% of this. Of course it was the big areas where I couldn't screw up much! :lol:

In the words of one of our club's past great member, Walter Witkos, "Ohhhhh, that's too nice to fly. You're not going to fly that, are you?" It really has come out well. Not patting myself on the back here, just amazed at how it did come out. Kudo's to Gerry for his tutoring and touches!
Attachments
Here's a picture of the one I copied sitting in a museum at Dulles AFB. No, just kidding, it's my model. The scene just looks like it came from a museum with the lighting the way it is!
Here's a picture of the one I copied sitting in a museum at Dulles AFB. No, just kidding, it's my model. The scene just looks like it came from a museum with the lighting the way it is!
Outside with some earlier weathering touches. More has been done since.
Outside with some earlier weathering touches. More has been done since.
Lighting wasn't the best but it's all I have for now.
Lighting wasn't the best but it's all I have for now.
IMG-20141119-00871.jpg
before any weathering had begun
before any weathering had begun
Ted Brito
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Nice looking model. Further along than I thought. You are busy . Nothing beats a different model.
Bob Pacheco
tomapowa

Post by tomapowa »

Nice Ted!!... wish I had more time to tend to my models... maybe when the snow eventually falls and I can't leave the house... lol 8-)
chistech

Post by chistech »

It's finally done, waiting for good weather and a rolled field for it's maiden. If you were at last night's meeting you saw it. For members who weren't here it is with the real nice static scale prop Gerry made. Came in at 6.722 lbs with flying prop and spinner. At that weight I should be fine and it should be a good flyer.
Attachments
With the transmitter in the photo you realize that it's only 54" span. Looks bigger than it is in most other shots.
With the transmitter in the photo you realize that it's only 54" span. Looks bigger than it is in most other shots.
IMG-20141202-00959.jpg
IMG-20141202-00962.jpg
IMG-20141202-00963.jpg
Ted Brito
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Very nice plane. Gerry did his best work on weathering. I do not yet have a plane flying with retracts in all the years of flying. The only one flight I did with retracts was my FW-190D-6.It may be years away before I do fly on with a nice set like yours.Great looking setup there.
Bob Pacheco
chistech

Post by chistech »

Hi Tom,
Carved out of two wood props with a balsa spinner. Gerry made it so you will have to ask him the particulars.
Ted Brito
chistech

Post by chistech »

Ok Guys. Maidened the Shinden Kai this past week and I can report it's a beauty. Handles extremely well on the ground and in the air. With the full gear doors it cleans up real nice and is pretty darn quick. The Saito .65 is a perfect power plant for it and has power to spare. Landings are easy with it slowing down nicely when the throttle is cut back. Flaps work well but I don't think they're needed. It has great low speed characteristics with no bad stall tendencies experienced. This Tettra kit is really a nice building, looking, and flying airplane. All this at 55" span and 6.75lbs. ( it's not light and it's small but flies big)
Ted Brito