A rare kit these days .A 1943 Comet Gypsy Sloop Jr- Free plans here.

(They do sell some that actually fly too!)
Neons
Site Admin

A rare kit these days .A 1943 Comet Gypsy Sloop Jr- Free plans here.

Post by Neons »

Tom, thanks for the forum link.
I was on my plan search in Rc Groups and I accidently found a guy looking for a Comet Gypsy Sloop Jr. for over 3 years now. Low and behold I had one put away for many years. I collaborated with the guy and he was in advertising. He redrew the plans I emailed him after I scanned it at Staples. I did the scanning of the printed wood at my friends home. I reposted it all on a new Vintage Model Boat plans forum in the RC Groups and it was an instant hit. I am exstatic to see someone building it already and posting pics of the sloop. I am posting the Pdf here for anyone of you that wish to have a go at it. Imagine, it was ny very first wood model in 1953. It is sentimental to me. The person making it is making it under 12" long for a class called "Footy". It will sail with micro RC equipment. See it started here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1577142

and the builder is now moving it here as his official Build Log.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... st20556471

I am not going to touch the kit in the box as it is like new. it was designed by Comet around 1943.

The very first PDF file in the list is the one to use. It can be scaled to any size boat.
Attachments
This is all the contents in the box less a return envelope.
This is all the contents in the box less a return envelope.
Kit notes and comments
Kit notes and comments
The main instructions
The main instructions
Original box 50Cents
Original box 50Cents
A 1943 Comet Catolog
A 1943 Comet Catolog
Comet 1940's- Gypsy Sloop Jr. Orig. Plans .pdf
These are the old original plans
(2.09 MiB) Downloaded 599 times
Comet Kit Redraw- Gypsy Sloop Jr. - 10.75 in hull length Comet kit no. J-1.pdf
These are the redrawn and measured plans with all the corrections. Build from these. Well done.
(258.25 KiB) Downloaded 605 times
Last edited by Neons on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bob Pacheco
chistech

Re: A rare kit these days. Comet Gypsy Sloop Jr

Post by chistech »

Bob, You da man! You got all this classic cool stuff. I checked out RC Groups and that guy's build. Should be nice and pretty when he's done.

Ted
Ted Brito
tomapowa

Post by tomapowa »

Awesome Bob!,
I once met this fellow (name escapes me) that use to work at Border's Books (now closed)... he was an awesome model ship builder... built some models for the NB whaling museum I think. Takes lots of patience. Nice plans btw... Wish I had some time to build something like that.
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Thanks Guys,
I am sure we have combo flyers in the club that do other things besides planes. I would like to see them here. Come on post some pics or videos of some boat you may have. Maybe one of those flying cats that scoot over land and water and then take off and fly.
Bob
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

.A 1943 Comet Gypsy Sloop Jr- An updated Footy class

Post by Neons »

Here is a new Footy Class model made with a Comet Gypsy Sloop Jr. as listed in this category thread in BCRCC boat threads, This vessel is a real beauty updated to a modern sailor type of sailing keel and rig. Have a look it in this older RC Groups thread at the article and pictures.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpos ... stcount=29
Attachments
sailing away.jpg
Starlet on wallstand.jpg
Bob Pacheco