What's on your bench??

Discuss & share your glow-powered airplane projects here!
Neons
Site Admin

Re: What's on your bench??

Post by Neons »

Ted,
Gerry does very nice work on painting. It is coming along nicely. Hard to beat his painting.
Bob
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

You are such a busy person. It is to bad you never took up the time to learn spraying with an air brush. I am still learning and hope some day I can paint as well as Gerry. It is not hard and it gets better every time you do it.
Bob
Last edited by Neons on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Pacheco
chistech

Post by chistech »

Hi Bob,
Actually, Gerry was painting today and when I went by to drop off the retracts for painting and he had me sit down and give it a try. His super quiet air compressor is the cats ass. It's not so much to using the airbrush but knowing how to shade, mix the colors, etc.
Ted Brito
chistech

Post by chistech »

The stenciling and painting has begun. I made a custom prop nut on the lathe for the Enya 46c.
Attachments
Stencils made with frisket paper cut out with a #11 blade right on the airframe. Careful not to cut to deep especially on the wing's open bays!
Stencils made with frisket paper cut out with a #11 blade right on the airframe. Careful not to cut to deep especially on the wing's open bays!
Gerry lining up the masking tape and paper. He applies the frisket film right over the markings that traced right on to the airframe with pencil.
Gerry lining up the masking tape and paper. He applies the frisket film right over the markings that traced right on to the airframe with pencil.
The master himself at work!
The master himself at work!
Beginning of the stars and bars in blue on the fuse side.
Beginning of the stars and bars in blue on the fuse side.
Top of the wing in the same shape as the fuse sides. Bottom looks the same except the bottom is vivid white with the black lettering.
Top of the wing in the same shape as the fuse sides. Bottom looks the same except the bottom is vivid white with the black lettering.
Here is the white wing bottom with the black "NAVY". Really looks good!
Here is the white wing bottom with the black "NAVY". Really looks good!
Custom prop nut I turned on the lathe. Tapped 1/4 x 28 for the Enya 46c.
Custom prop nut I turned on the lathe. Tapped 1/4 x 28 for the Enya 46c.
Ted Brito
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Very nice photo montage. The plane is going along fine looks great. You should be ready for Spring next month. :shock: . I guess you will be doing a show next week at the meeting. I'll check it out.
Bob
Bob Pacheco
chistech

Post by chistech »

Hi Bob,
Yea, we figured to bring it to the next meeting. Hopefully all will be done and it will be balanced ready to fly. Like you said. Spring is right around the hour, not the corner! :D Once the painting is done it shouldn't take to long as everything was already set up in the airframe. Only thing I hadn't made up was the elevator pushrod. That should be no big deal.

Ted
Ted Brito
tomapowa

Post by tomapowa »

Wow! Incredible Ted!
chistech

Post by chistech »

Thanks Tom, I'm learning a lot working with Gerry. I'm learning about using frisket paper and how to make my own stencils/markings. I also used his airbrush some. I have an airbrush but I can see I will need about $50 worth of airbrush cleaning supplies. You clean the damn things more than you paint with them. Here are a couple more pictures. We are putting my wife's initials (MB) on the tail and her birthday (124) on the cowl. You can see the stencil starting to get made on the cowl and the stars & bars stencil ready for the white.
Attachments
skyraider 015.jpg
skyraider 016.jpg
skyraider 018.jpg
Ted Brito
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Ted
Does Gerry cut the numbers out on the paper right on the cowl then spray it? It apperas that way. I need some Frisket paper. Does Michaels Stores have it?
Bob
Bob Pacheco
tomapowa

Post by tomapowa »

Neons wrote:Ted
Does Gerry cut the numbers out on the paper right on the cowl then spray it? It apperas that way. I need some Frisket paper. Does Michaels Stores have it?
Bob
Looks like they do Bob!
http://www.michaels.com/All-Purpose-Fri ... lt,pd.html

I think Ted and Gerry should put together a mini DIY video describing the process! ;)