Post by admin »

UPDATE!

Air Fun Day,
New Bedford Airport
May 19th, 2012
10:00am to 4:00pm

(Email from Ted to members)
Hello All,

Gary Carreiro, Gerry Dupont, and myself met with the organizing committee for the Air Fun Day at the NB Airport. I am reporting that we got a good reception from them today. Originally they were on board for a static display only with NO flying. A few days before the meeting, I was able to forward a correspondence from Andy Argenio to the committee. This correspondence referred to other airports together with RC clubs that have put on other “Fun Days” both with static displays and flying. It also went on to describe the AMA’s involvement and insurance coverage when the event is sanctioned. After all three of us spoke up the committee was receptive to finding out how we could make the flying part of the show happen. I will need to gather some answers to specific questions so the head of tower traffic can be approached. They are also looking at giving us a hanger to fly the club’s slow flying foam planes inside.

At our last meeting it was agreed to put on the static side of the show and it was discussed where we would be put. The committee now is talking about giving us a larger area near the left taxi way closer to the main static display. If we are able to fly the static display would then be closer to the flying area which would be on the left taxi way. The flying will be performed by only a few selected pilots who have excellent flying skills. There is a possibility of bringing in 2-3 guest pilots with exceptional aircraft. I do not need to fill everyone in with safety particulars or how the flying will be conducted as only the pilots and airport need to know.

As another new club event we will need volunteers to work the show. We will have a static display, a tent area with a table with club information, possibly and indoor flight crew, and an outdoor flight line crew. We will also need aircraft for the static display. If you would like to display your aircraft please understand you will need to supply a 8 ½ x 11 fact sheet with it. This will allow spectators and members working the static display to better understand your model and its history. Below is a list of what type of help we will need.

PLEASE NOTE:

As of right now only the static part of the show in a go. The committee is looking into getting us the hanger for foamies and I will need to forward the answers to their questions so they can approach the tower boss about us flying aircraft off the side taxiway.

This is only a 6 hour show and member participation will count towards your club duty fee.

Static display: People to work the display will need to perform crowd control to prevent damage to models. They will need to talk to the spectators with a general knowledge of our club and model aircraft. Not everyone needs to be an expert so some workers and some talkers are both needed.

Club Tent: Two people to talk to the spectators about our club , its history, where it is now, and where it hopes to go in the future. They will need to be able to discuss the club fun fly and float fly’s. Both club and AMA applications will be handed out. In most cases you will be able to sit down most the day.

Hanger flight team: I will try and enlist Jon Bier here!! Possibly Jon could bring our foamies and a few other members could help Jon out with the flying and organizing of it.

Outdoor flight line: This will require a flight boss who will have direct contact via radio with the tower. Gary Barboza has volunteered for this position. We will also need one or two spotters per pilot to watch for all full size aircraft. There will be only one or two aircraft in the air at one time. We are looking at a maximum of 4-6 pilots including guest pilots.

This should be a great event for our club, the AMA, and New Bedford Airport. Member participation is a must.
Bob Pacheco
admin
Site Admin

Re: New Bedford Airport Aviation Day - Airplane Info Sheet!

Post by admin »

(Excerpts from an email sent by Ted... please see the attached file also)

Ted has created a word based Model Information sheet for anyone interested in showing their planes in the static display at the NB Airport Fun Day. Ted has even filled it out using his own Kingfisher as an example but all you will need to do is delete the info and put in your own then save. Using Ted's info as an example for each question should make it easy to know what you will have to put for your own aircraft. You will then be able to print it out and bring it with your plane. I believe everyone should have “Word” as a program in their computers.

Few hints:

If your model is an ARF: Put manufacturer name in model designer category (Great Planes, H9, etc). If it was a signature plane (Mike McConville, etc.) put that too

Put ARF in Type category.

If your model is electric: Put name of electric motor in power category, put battery, type, and description of power system under fuel category.

Flight characteristics: examples; 3D, pattern, sport flyer, etc.

Length of construction: Even if it was a BNF model, put the time to make it ready to fly. Spectators will be able to see some models take little time to get flyable.

Additional info: It is just that. Put anything about your plane that will be of interest. If you crashed it and rebuilt it twice, put that, etc?
Attachments
BCRCC-Model-Information-Sheet.doc
(22.5 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
Bob Pacheco