Show us your multi-rotors!!

Multi-Copter Projects - as if one spinning blade wasn't enough fun
HitNRun

Re: Show us your multi-rotors!!

Post by HitNRun »

New transmitter?
Can't you use the radio you already have?
Or do you just want to have a dedicated "multi-rotor" transmitter?

That Naza complete set is really nice.
Top notch hardware right there! :)

Carlos has the HobbyKing Pilot Mega V2.5 that's said to be really decent.
It'll be going in his H.A.L. quadcopter that i'll be building for him while he's away on his two week vacation.

He's going to need to get a GPS module for it though as it doesn't come with one.
People recommend the UBLOX LEA-6H GPS Module w/Built-in Antenna (2.5m Accuracy) V1.01

These quads can get really expensive when you want the "good stuff" on them. :D
Ben Costa
HitNRun

Post by HitNRun »

Found a Mobius Action Camera for $67.46
Is that a good price range for this?
http://bluestormshop.com/p/4041632/Mobi ... LQ298.html

I just did a quick google search and went with prices "lowest to highest".
Ben Costa
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Carlos gone on vacation. Well! Ublox is a good GPS from what I read. Talk about a long drawn on out setup and try again and again. FPV Lab Northeast said the APM would be easier and faster to get up and running over the Pilot Mega or Piirate boarda. Too bad but I liked those boards. I will do APM board instead.

The Mobius sounds good. I paid $52 for my 808 #16 V2 with a matched at distributor 32g Micro card. The Mobius is a better camera with better options.

I need a good transmitter as my Polks has a problem making a transmission cord for my FatShark Attitude goggles. I would need an Oscillator to check the PPM signal is on the right plug or risk burnout of the Head Tracking board. It will not be warrentied by Fatshark. The Turnigy 9X is ok with Fatshark warrenty. The Turnigy XR 9 is not although a better radio trans. The Turnigy 9's have high marks. It has the plug for my Fatshark goggles to operate my Head Tracking also.

Checkout Mochaboy build of an H copter. The transmitter is a Turnigy XR 9. Great stuff. It is a pro build copter. 2 pages. Of course we are not in this stage of builing.
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php ... 3.01-build
Bob Pacheco
HitNRun

Post by HitNRun »

The Turnigy 9X has some nice firmware upgrades as well if you want a little more from your 9x. I believe it's called "er9x" firmware
As for deciding whether or not to go with the radio... I would go for it. The price tag is VERY reasonable for what you get. ;)
Ben Costa
HitNRun

Post by HitNRun »

Meet H.A.L. :D
The latest quadcopter build while Carlos is on vacation.
FirePower 480 (sport) motors all around (1100kv)
4X25A ESC Block "Q-Brain"
10X4.5 props
According to the prop data... about 22A at full throttle.
(which won't be very often on a quad so it should be just fine)

HobbyKing's Ardu Pilot Mega 2.5 control board
Spektrum AR8000 w/ satellite AND telemetry unit.

Future GPS upgrade soon to come. ;)
Attachments
0309140040.jpg
Ben Costa
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

looks good. Seems like it may have a strong frame. Try to get the multi well trimmed and a few flights before flying it at the gym.

I am still plagued with my 450 sport multi I flew at the gym. I had replaced all the Esc's and had a couple of good flights. Then at the gym she crashed while 1 foot of the floor and the motor toasted. I ordered a replacement mototor and after instal I plugged the battery in and the motor toasted again. I found a burnt chip in the Esc. I replaced that esc and I am waiting for another motor. Hope it is ok next flight.

I just ordered a Turnigy 9X transmitter without the module. I am installing a Corona 2.4hz DIY kit in it. I also bought a APM 2.5 v2 board. I still have to convert the battery to Life or a lipo in the trans. My DVR just came in and I have to put that in my FPV ground station also.

I am waiting for the weather before I start my long practice to fly FPV. It is best with the copter trimmed and no wind first. Drifting in a copter is hazardous.
Bob Pacheco
HitNRun

Post by HitNRun »

She seems very well designed. Good and sturdy construction from what I could tell throughout the build. Mostly aluminum with a few pieces of plastic and CF mainly in the landing gear. I want to re-route the ESC wires through the booms though, for a cleaner look. Other than that, it's just tuning the APM board and making it as docile as possible so it lasts longer than 30 seconds in Carlos's hands, lol. :D

I got his last (black) quad flying very well now. Nice and docile as well so he literally HAS to hold the stick to the side to make it crash. ;)
Strictly an indoor flyer or outdoors in winds under 10mph. (For Carlos anyway) For you and me, we could fly it in up to 25mph fairly well. It's VERY stable.
Although, when out of SL mode, it's still quite acrobatic in the air. Almost TOO much. But I recommend Carlos keep it in SL mode at all times. ;)
Ben Costa
HitNRun

Post by HitNRun »

Neons wrote:I am waiting for the weather before I start my long practice to fly FPV. It is best with the copter trimmed and no wind first. Drifting in a copter is hazardous.
I remember Gary talking to you about how it's hard to see how close you are to a wall or other object while doing FPV. Certainly drifting would be a major cause for concern. Being well trimmed is a must to ensure the best "feel" of what you're doing "at the quad".

Perhaps having GPS and the other goodies on board might be a benefit? That way you can have a "hold" engaged to help lock you into a position that's a bit more stable with less possible drifting? Just a thought.
Ben Costa
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

There are just to many factors for disaster with these flying bricks with meat chopping blender props. I am sorry to say this but with the weight of these bricks and mechanical functions plus with people and property around, I can only hope it does not end up in the gym in untrained hands. Someone could end up in the hospital if it loses control. Automatic hand and mind orientation is a serious problem with the 450 sizes. Even I have that problem. Another plus so far is no CF blades are in use.

I do worry about mine just flying it in the gym. If it hits those wall cushion they could easily slice the cushions or with a ceiling drop could also damage the floor or somebody.I prefer to fly with less people around. but it is not always possible. I hope some one knows their full capabilities before they risk flying the heavier than air larger ones there. It goes for me and all that chance adventuring in the gym with many people there. I was very careful last week with my burnout motor quad to not venture far or high with the multi. Luckily I had it positioned away and low when it quit.

Please be aware and be extremly thoughtful when using these indoors. I feel some of us should not be testing or flying these in general there because they still do not fly well. I think you understand.
Bob Pacheco
HitNRun

Post by HitNRun »

Agreed!
Ben Costa