Hydrographics Film Techniques...

R/C Building Techniques Hints & Tricks
tomapowa

Hydrographics Film Techniques...

Post by tomapowa »

SO, several months ago during the winter, I started researching this new fangled technique of applying graphics to a multitude of objects. This technique called "hydrographics" allows you to apply a pre-fabricated film (with various patterns/colors available) onto a painted object just by floating the pattern on water, then immersing the objects "through" the floating pattern of ink after applying an activator to the floating pattern.

This is real cool amazing stuff! They sell all sorts of patterns/films... I opted for the carbon fiber looking pattern.
This is how easy it is to apply:

1. Cut film/pattern to size, apply masking tape around the pattern. The masking tape hold the pattern together after it is floated on the water and starts dissolving the backer substrate (turns to a goo)
2. Once the substrate has dissolved, roughly 1 min (you can see all the wrinkles disappear amazingly), you spray a special activator (acetone like I would think) onto the top of the film where the printed/ink pattern is and you'll see the ink pattern dissolve more, still floating on the water due to surface tension.
3. Once the film is activated, you simply slowly dip the painted object through the pattern at an angle very slowly allowing the film to wrap around the object, adhering itself to the painted object.
4. Once applied, you simply rinse off the object thoroughly, let it dry, then clear-coat.

AMAZING STUFF!!

Here's a vid on youtube describing the process and kit you could buy....
https://www.youtube.com/user/MyDipKit

I also attached some pics of some of the objects I tested it on... cool shit!!!?? :D
Attachments
IMG_4345.JPG
IMG_4298.JPG
IMG_4302.JPG
HitNRun

Re: Hydrographics Film Techniques...

Post by HitNRun »

This would look awesome on a transmitter.
Who wouldn't like a carbon fiber look on their radio. ;)
Ben Costa
tomapowa

Re: Hydrographics Film Techniques...

Post by tomapowa »

HitNRun wrote:This would look awesome on a transmitter.
Who wouldn't like a carbon fiber look on their radio. ;)
Not carbon but still cool at what you can do with this stuff...

http://www.rctodayshow.com/forum/viewto ... 092#p18092