Buzzard Bombshell. - 1940 AMA National Record Holder by Joe Konefes- Updates 1/ 2020

Home:
http://www.bristolcountyrc.org/

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/865604790489227/
admin
Site Admin

Re: A Buzzard Bombshell. - 1940 AMA National Record Holder by Joe Konefes

Post by admin »

After a couple years of much great flying the Buzzard Bombshell me it's date with the end. I was flying around about 12 minutes of floating the winds. I did use power to gain altitude a few times to continue my gliding around the farm area. The in an instant the outer portion of the starboard wing between the fuse and the next section of the poly dihedral parted ways. The aircraft did its last straight in crash about 1/4 mile out into a far corner of the cornfield. After a couple tries in the heat of the day to find it to no avail. I will look again in the fall after the corn is cut down. Chances of finding anything are nill. Older planes after many years start to break down internally. Glue starts to leave the wood.
Bob Pacheco
admin
Site Admin

Re: A Buzzard Bombshell. - 1940 AMA National Record Holder by Joe Konefes

Post by admin »

Update:
I found the plane a week later. I used my Sig Kadet Senior with an under wing tilt camera. I made a half dozen passes low and slow. After looking over the footage at a slow speed I saw it sitting in a salt marsh. After slugging my way through the marsh I made it to the plane. It hit a muddy salt water area. We had a high tide during the week and it submerged the nose. I have stripped it down. The 4s battery swelled and caused a local current in the water and damaged the electronics. I could only salvage the once new motor. The fuse broke in half and I only have half the wing left. I guess it will have to be trashed now.
Update:
Found a week later in a salt tidal marsh with my Sig Kadet and a camera attached, It is the circled blue speck from a movie frame.
8-10-2019 B.Bombshell Search -Found.jpg
Bob Pacheco