Finish build of a British WWII Era Fairey Swordfish Biplane

Discuss & share your electric-powered airplane projects here!
Neons
Site Admin

Finish build of a British WWII Era Fairey Swordfish Biplane

Post by Neons »

This Particular model was given to me by an honorable member John Bier. The aircraft was being constructed by his past father "Bud" Bier. Bless his soul. "Bud", was the oldest member of our flying club and also our oldest veteran of WWII. We had 3 other WWII veterans that also have passed on over the years.
My finish build here is for a stronger model than what appears in the model handed to me to carry a 1800mah lipo and and a powerful brushless motor that can handle the size and weight with enough reserve pull if needed. The wingspan on this model reaches 37 inches (939mm).

Some history of the actual plane:
1280px-Swordfish_(7582559196).jpg
The Fairey Swordfish is a biplane torpedo bomber designed by the Fairey Aviation Company. Originating in the early 1930s, the Swordfish, nicknamed "Stringbag", was operated by the Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Navy, it was also used by the Royal Air Force (RAF), as well as several overseas operators, including the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) and the Royal Netherlands Navy. It was initially operated primarily as a fleet attack aircraft. During its later years, the Swordfish became increasingly used as an anti-submarine and training platform. The type was in frontline service throughout the Second World War.

Despite being obsolete by 1939, the Swordfish achieved some spectacular successes during the war. Notable events included sinking one battleship and damaging two others of the Regia Marina (the Italian Navy) during the Battle of Taranto, and the famous attack on the Bismarck, which contributed to her eventual demise. The Swordfish sank a greater tonnage of Axis shipping than any other Allied aircraft during the war. The Swordfish remained in front-line service until V-E Day, having outlived some of the aircraft intended to replace it.
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Re: Finish build of a British WWII Ea Fairey Swordfish Biplane

Post by Neons »

Here I will show a couple skeleton views and a 4 view drawing first.
Attachments
fairey-swordfish-mki-3 4 veiw.png
Swordfish Skeleton.jpg
Swordfish-cutaway.jpg
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

The model plans are not available with the model that I am working with. So I need references along with pictures to put the finished plane together. I downloaded a couple plans as I could not find the maker of this particular model. I have to ad-lib the correct construction as I go. The construction of this model does not match these plans on fitting the balsa parts.Go to Aerofred for free plans. https://aerofred.com/details.php?image_id=81111
Fairey Study.jpg
I used a poster printout to make a copy of the plan in a rough finished printout tiles sized for reference.
10-01-21 Bob - Fairey Swordfish -Bier.jpg
Here is the placement of the plane as I received it.
Attachments
9-06-2021 Fairey_Swordfish Patially Built (1).jpg
9-06-2021 Fairey_Swordfish Patially Built (2).jpg
9-06-2021 Fairey_Swordfish Patially Built (3).jpg
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Now I have started the building with the cowling . This was in September of 2020. I had to stop the progress as I had 2 other planes to repair as sen in the previous post of the Fw-190 Folke Wulf and some work on my Sig Kadet. I came back to the building here in early Jan. 2021. The cowling shows laminated 1/4" balsa form. I placed it into my lathe and turned it to size and bored it out to a stage that should work. At this time I may put it back into the lathe and do some further trimming in the rear. I carefully cut out the center to fit over the plywood motor mount. I will not glue this in place until I receive my motor shipment so I can check the shaft length clearances.
Attachments
10-06-2021 Fairey Swordfish- Cowling (1).jpg
10-06-2021 Fairey Swordfish- Cowling.jpg
10-07-2021 Fairey Swordfish- Cowling.jpg
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Fairey Swordfish Biplane - Landing gear wire

Post by Neons »

The landing gear are a bit more complicated because of the three angles and axle have compound angles. I slipped brass tubing over the main strut for some effect and a better solder bonding. The soldering angles are the first adjustment. Then they have to be continually fussed over to get it all together in the right spot. The wings have a couple of plywood blocks installed for the screws. The fuselage has some hardwood doubled inside for the wire anchor points. The forward fuselage wire strut has a drilled dowel for an anchor. The whole landing gear assembly is easily added and removed. It was probably the hardest thing to make in the build. I installed two 1/8" carbon rods across the fuselage for strength and wing mounting. I will not screw the gear strut in place until the wings get covered and glued in place.
1-09-2022 Fairey Swordfish Main LG (1).jpg
1-07-2022 Fairey Swordfish Main LG.jpg
1-09-2022 Fairey Swordfish Main LG.jpg
1-12-2022 Fairey Swordfish Fitting LG.jpg
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Fairey Swordfish Biplane - Wing & Fuselage Sheeting

Post by Neons »

There is so much prep to do for the covering stages. Many areas have to be strengthened with balsa blocking, gussets, and some sheeting. I am looking at a stronger plane with some weight sacrificing. I do not want to keep repairing a model due to regular fractures. Here you will see the wings have been sheeted on the leading edges top and bottom. The lower fuselage has been sheeted also. It may not look like much has been done but there but much is being hidden. I have overall sanded the wings and just put all the parts together roughly for the picture top and bottom. The next step is to get the rudder and elevator ready for pushrods.
Attachments
The wings are sanded. I have to install eyes for the string stays
The wings are sanded. I have to install eyes for the string stays
The wings are just in place loosely
The wings are just in place loosely
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Fairey Swordfish Biplane - Fuselage Sheeting & Cockpit

Post by Neons »

Back to the fuselage. I finished the rough layout of the cockpit framing and floors. I also finished the balsa skin in the nose area. I planned on using behind the upper firewall to place the ESC in this area so it doesn't interfere with the battery area. I made an access hatch to be able to fit the motor wiring through that area.
1-21-2022 Fairey Swordfish  Cockpit- Stay Anchors (3).jpg
On the bottom there will be 2 hatches to load the battery and a separate to place the receiver and the installed servos as you can see labeled. The outer push rods are in place with the servos now. 9 gram Turnigy's.
1-21-2022 Fairey Swordfish  Cockpit- Stay Anchors (1).jpg
The next photo shows some wire rigging anchors that will go below the cabanes for the wings. They were place in and then removed so I can plan on doing the wings covering.
1-21-2022 Fairey Swordfish - Stay Anchors.jpg
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Fairey Swordfish Biplane - Fully Silkspan covered

Post by Neons »

I have been busy this last week sanding the wing, fuselage. and tail feathers to get a smooth base for the choice of silkspan covering. I chose that over tissue as it is a stronger finish. I tried the Maxifliart's use of a glue stick and decided to switch to Elmers glue pen. I listed his useful technique in the Hints and Trick Forum here. With the silkspan it works but I did not like the bond strength. It would be fine with Japan tissue.

I changed over to the Elmer's glue pen I ran a small bead of the white glue all around the perimeter of what I was covering. I then took a brush and smoothed it out with clear poly waterbase. The silkspan was placed long grain over the part whetted out with a mist bottle of water. the cut over sized silkspan is laid over the part I slowly stretched it all around so it was smooth. I then used a Monokote gun or hair dryer to dry stretch all the material tight. Then I gave it all around the edges another coat of waterbase Clear and smooth it all around the edges again an dry it out again. I believe a mix of 1/2 water and Elmers glue would be fine as an alternate to brush on as a glue substitute also. It gives working time. The hot air speeds drying up anyway.

The covering has to be waterproof so next I gave it a few coats light spray Krylon clear satin to seal the silkspan and I use the hot air to keep it tight between coats. I know I have it when the trial a few drops of water and they bead up. The plane will be sprayed with waterbase colors for the finish.

My next process is fitting the lower wing permanently in place. Then the landing gear are fitted permanently also. There are gear coverings and V strut that is part of the landing gear also. The rudder and elevator will be fitted and set up to the servos. Plenty to do yet before the finish painting. The upper wing probably will not get secured until it is painted also.
1-27-2022- Fairey Swordfish covered.jpg
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Fairey Swordfish Biplane - Landing Gear

Post by Neons »

I have been working on the model for some time getting the landing gear put together, That probably for a beginner builder may be the hardest thing to do on the model. I worked on fairing the LG struts in some with balsa fill and shaping. T fuse to the wing top has a aluminum blister, I hammer them out of house flashing. I am going to make a couple for the machine guns just on the outside fuse within the pilots reach. I also will make the oil cooler on the stbd. side behind the motor.So here it is installed with he upper wing just pinned in place. The lower wing is glued in place also. I have many boxes of wheels around and these are the closest I could find for the pictures here. I may need a bit larger pair of wheels for grass takeoff at the field.
Today my order came in with some torpedoes, 2 types of radial motors, and 3 crew. I buy some pretty nice plastic vacu-formed parts from Park Flyer Plastics at very reasonable cost and fast shipping.
https://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/inde ... x&cPath=24
Take a look at there website. Maybe if you damage a model like a cowling or lost canopy he may have a replacement for you. I have a new motor and ESC showed up 2 days ago. I scouted around today for the original plane that took part in the demise of the Bismark and I got a good color scheme and the decals for a little later on. I am going a little further and then start the painting.
Attachments
2-2-2022- Fairey Swordfish-Land Gear Cvrs (2).jpg
2-2-2022- Fairey Swordfish-Land Gear Cvrs (3).jpg
2-2-2022- Fairey Swordfish-Land Gear Cvrs (5).jpg
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Fairey Swordfish Biplane - starting to paint

Post by Neons »

I decided to day to start the painting so I can get into more of the detail work when done. I researched colors of the plane with the British aircraft carrier Ark Royal that actually disabled the German Bismark rudder. The problem is that all the pictures I have found have half a dozen shades of the pastel green. I downloaded a drawing of the aircraft and mixed up a shade to apply to the under surfaces. This is about 4 coats airbrushed. I stopped here as the silkspan now feels rough and I am going to fine sand all the painted surfaces before the final coats.

The bottom 2 pictures show the masking and painting of a mixed Sea Gray color. That was done Feb. 9th. After I remove some of the masking I will do the Ivy Green next. I am going to try using a rolled putty masking over the Sea Gray outlines and then do the airbrushing The idea I hope will give a softer edge without that sharp curved lines creating the better soft look.

Completion of the model work continues and will finish on the next page................Click the bottom right corner for page two.(02)
Attachments
Swordfish - torpedo  Bismark.jpg
2-4-2022- Fairey Swordfish - Green Paint.jpg
2-9-2022- Fairey Swordfish - Mask & Sea gray paint (1).jpg
2-9-2022- Fairey Swordfish - Mask & Sea gray paint (3).jpg
Bob Pacheco