10-2022-Repair and Refurbish a wrecked Durafly Ugly Stik

Discuss & share your electric-powered airplane projects here!
Neons
Site Admin

10-2022-Repair and Refurbish a wrecked Durafly Ugly Stik

Post by Neons »

This plane was a DuraflyV2 (PNF) Electric Sports Model EPO 1100mm. Our member had this plane and from what I saw after the crash was that the anchors holding the wing evidently were pulled out and were not properly refastened. The small plastic rectangles with the nuts were just kind of placed in the original locations and hot glued. . They were destined to break away.
Durafly-Ugly-Stick.jpg
So on with the crash. I was watching it fly in a level flight and it was not a stressful position. All of a sudden the wing parted company and the fuselage continued on into our cornfield under full power like a dart. After recovering the parts with a couple left behind. the club member took some parts off and asked if I wanted the model. Of course I would take it. This was a simple boxy slab sided fuselage and an easy fix for me. So tossed in my truck it was another project. I found the plane online and here is a description link.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/duraflytm-u ... e-pnf.html

So on with the tear down and a look over to determine my starting point.
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Re: 10-2022-Repair and Refurbish a wrecked Durafly Ugly Stik

Post by Neons »

10-7-2022 Carlos Stik Rebuild-Fuselage (0).jpg
The picture shows the salvaged pieces just hot glue tacked together where they fit to give a view of how long the fuselage was and the hatches. In the background is some 1/2 inch blue foam that i had around for repairs. I can use 2 pieces of foam board laminated if I had to. So now I can fill in the missing parts. Just another note . If you are planning on repairing a model pick up all the pieces and it will be easier. Keep the flying site clean. So now it is time to cut the broken foam and the new foam on straight lines to match the broken parts one at a time. Fit parts and tack glue. When all is fit you will be in a stage of how the plane was together.
10-7-2022 Carlos Stik Rebuild-Fuselage (1).jpg
As you see in the second photo it is all pieced together. You will be able to transfer the shape to some card stock paper laying the model on its side. My plan here is to vertical cut off the fuselage right behind the wing saddle. I cut it straight down and with an angle for a better bond surface.
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

10-7-2022 Carlos Stik Rebuild-Fuselage (2).jpg
Here laid out is the fuselage foam pattern at the top. A white paper pattern. Remember it should be slightly long on both sides to allow for fitting the bond to the cut off at the tail section. The picture at the bottom is the new foam sides. I went further on the model and took in the tail section of the model from the cut behind the wing. I found that the tail section is heavy. I removed the tail wheel and it helped some. I will use a wire skid instead. With what I found I thought it was best to make the nose 1 inch longer for allowing the C/G to be favorable. I also like it as it will effect the flight to a better characteristic. This allows the landing gear to go forward more also.

So did you notice that the model had a cast plastic firewall with 2 rectangle cutouts on each side? This is great. I traced them onto the foam and cut away foam until it sat at the right depth. This prevents the firewall pulling out after bonded. Now is the time to assemble the new front section. Fit and foam or hot glue one side and let dry. Then pick up the plane and hold the other fuselage side in place. Pin if necessary but look to see if the fuselage looks good. No offsets left and right. Once the bonding angles fit glue and let it firm up.
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

10-10-2022 Carlos Stik Rebuild.jpg
Here the wing is just set on the new nose section. The next thing is to add foam formers and to make the access hatches work. I tried a 4s 2200 lipoly battery for a fit and made a foam angled floor to raise it away from the Esc below the battery. I made flat foam fillers for the original bottom hatch access to the servos and receiver. The joint behind the wing gets foam gussets to strengthen the bond of the new fuse sides.
10-21-2022 Carlos Ugly Stik Finished rebuild (0).jpg
In this bottom hatch there is a former to hold the fuselage shape and allow the leads to run through it. The receiver and rudder/elevator servos.
10-21-2022 Carlos Ugly Stik Finished rebuild (1).jpg
Top hatch shows 2 angled foam bottom rests for the battery, connector, and strap. The Esc is well below.
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Now for my finished plane. I flew the plane before the finish painting retouch painting. I flew as a test with a 4s 1300 ma lipoly battery. I will say I was shocked at the jump in 5 feet skyward at rocket speeds. I flew the plane around and it was super responsive as good as my flying wing. Speeds were easily in the 60-70mph area. It did very responsive rolls and square loops and passes. I must say I am capable of handling these maneuvers. It definitely is not for an amateur flyer to use a 4s battery. When I slowed down half throttle she became docile and could land easily with no problems. If I bought or built one of these stay with a 3s 1800 to 2700 ma battery and it will fly beautifully and docile. Save the power for more advanced flight. This plane is a keeper.

Go here to see a very good video. Read the remarks and posts to find out more.
https://youtu.be/hhpKeEMZfQ0
Attachments
10-21-2022 Carlos Ugly Stik Finished rebuild (2).jpg
10-21-2022 Carlos Ugly Stik Finished rebuild (3).jpg
10-21-2022 Carlos Ugly Stik Finished rebuild (4).jpg
10-21-2022 Carlos Ugly Stik Finished rebuild (5).jpg
10-21-2022 Carlos Ugly Stik Finished rebuild (6).jpg
Bob Pacheco