Electric Flying Wing - "Lightning Dart" (AK Models)

Discuss & share your electric-powered airplane projects here!
tomapowa

Electric Flying Wing - "Lightning Dart" (AK Models)

Post by tomapowa »

This is an older AKmodels flying wing I purchased with the idea of converting it to electric (called the "Lightning Dart").
http://ak-models.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?S ... NITRO46_65
Specifications:

Wing span: 70 in / 1778mm
Wing area: 877.3 sq in /56.6sq dm
Flying weight: 5.3 lb / 2400g
Fuselage length: 22.9 in / 582 mm
Engine Required: 2c .46 cu in
Radio Required: 5 channels,6 servos

I finally got around to assembling it, only to find out that the space in the fuselage is pretty limited and made mounting the battery, receiver, and steering servo a challenge... but success prevailed! :) I was hoping to maiden the wing this year but the cold (not the snow) stops me from... there's always next year I guess unless we soon get another indian-summer-like weekend!
Attachments
lightningdart1.jpg
lightningdart2.jpg
Blip

Re: Electric Flying Wing - "Lightning Dart" (AK Models)

Post by Blip »

Very nice.Puts my Stryker to shame.Hand launch??? Let me/us know when you maiden it,might have the Scimitar by then.
D.M.L.
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Very nice looking. To nice for me though. I would want something to bang and bash as in combat. Still would be nice to see it fly.
**Neons** Bob
Bob Pacheco
ccosta
Site Admin

Post by ccosta »

Tom have you ever flown it yet? I have a zagi that I want refinish soon also.
tomapowa

Post by tomapowa »

Hi Carlos,
Actually, I DID get to maiden it last weekend... flew nice! Big but nice, certainly not as fast and nimble as the Slinger but fun!... I might be a little underpowered motor-wise but still... it flies like it is on rails. The reflex (both ailerons in up postion) is very important for these flying wings... luckily with all the experience I have with setting up Slingers/Zagis... this one was a pc. of cake. Got the CG perfect! Flew it this past weekend too after increasing roll rates, etc... nice, slow flyers... I have some video of the maiden somewhere... I'll try to post soon.