Another Original Multiplex - Twin Star -Remodel & Paint

Discuss & share your electric-powered airplane projects here!
Neons
Site Admin

Another Original Multiplex - Twin Star -Remodel & Paint

Post by Neons »

Here is another Twin Star plane that I own now. I got it at an auction again for a throw away price.of $10.00. It seems just before the auction is over the left overs are destined for the dumpster I guess. I may have had an idea I may use it as spare parts. There really was nothing wrong with it. It was nearly all there. It looked like it was all setup and maybe flown. Then the owner may have decided it was not what he wanted and stripped it clean. Never the less a super deal.
Updated 4-3-2020: Compare the new finish paint to the stock originals here.
3-10-2020 Twinstar (1) Start.jpg
3-10-2020 Twinstar Motors Mounted 01.jpg
In the first picture is exactly how I took ownership of the airplane. Under the plane is a complete working twin setup from my wrecked Kyosho Etude twin. The wing broke and I was going to rebuild it. The fuselage was foam and really worn out also. The balsa in the wing was very soft and not worth the trouble to fix. I stripped the motors and nacelles off the Kyosho Etude and planned to fit the to the Twin Star. Amazingly they slid into place like they were made for the aircraft. I just cut all the original nacelles off the wing. It surely changed the style of the plane. The motors are a bit more forward which is a plus to get the C/G forward.
Attachments
3-10-2020 Twinstar Motors Mounted.jpg
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Re: Another Original Multiplex - Twin Star -Install Spars -Motors & Lite Spackle

Post by Neons »

In the first photo I installed a 1/4 x 1/4 x48 inch fiberglass spar in the middle of the wing. The two GWS servos were locked in and blocked with a foam pod. Closer to the leading edge is a slot for the wiring of the twin motors, I cut a 20 inch round carbon arrow and buried it along with the motor wires under 1/8 inch Depron and Lite Spackled it in.
3-11-2020 Twinstar - Spar & Servo.jpg
In the second photo you see everything in pace including the nacelles along with a spreading of spackling to fill any foam pores to prepare for white painting.
3-12-2020 Twinstar - Lite Spackle (0).jpg
In the third photo shows all the unwanted decals removed and the parts all totally Lite Spackled.
3-12-2020 Twinstar - Lite Spackle (2).jpg
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Re: Another Original Multiplex - Twin Star -Plug in Landing Gear

Post by Neons »

I have advanced quite a load on the painting. I need a little more planning on how I want the final look before posting it here. I am planning the decals to finish the overall final finishing before posting it here. But in the wheel photo you will see the plane painted white and blue striping as a sneak peek.
So why do I want to make Plug-in landing gear? I may want to fly with better performance with a lighter plane with the drag and weight reduced, I can hand launch the plane.
3-22-2020 TwinStar Model 02 -Removable LG (0).jpg
In the first photo I had a small piece of brass square stock with another piece that slid into it nice and snug. I cut the inner sleeve in three pieces. The outer 1/4in. I I cut a long length to reach across the fuselage, After some measuring and a small hot nail to melt the foam to pass the outer sleeve on through the fuselage.Depending on the sleeve to take all that landing bounce and torque would never work. I used a plywood block with part of the square to fit the slot sawn into it. I then made a plate with 4 screws to clamp the sleeve sq. tightly, I then epoxied everything in place. The nose gear is similar. I soldered the outer sleeve to 2 flat brass pieces in an H pattern. After slitting the nose to push it in on a trial fit I lathered it up and slid it in place. The swept back angle gives a nice spring action. I can press the landing gear in snug with some light grease. When I remove them I pull hard to release them.They can be glued in but not C/A glue. Otherwise they will need lots of heat to remove them with maybe some foam damages. A drop of white glue or hot glue is fine for the friction to hold them. I spent the rest of the day putting in rudder and elevator servos.
3-22-2020 TwinStar Model 02 -Removable LG (1).jpg
Picture two shows them in place with some of the new paint.
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Re: Another Original Multiplex - Twin Star -Remodel & Paint

Post by Neons »

The filling in of the pores in the original Multiplex grey foam definitely helped in the painting of the new colors. I had some ModgePodge which I should have used but forgot about it. This is the finish base paint in flatform. It will be overall be sprayed with a semi-gloss later.
Attachments
3-20-2020 TwinStar Model 02-Painting (3).jpg
3-20-2020 TwinStar Model 02-Painting (0).jpg
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Re: Another Original Multiplex - Twin Star -Adding Decals

Post by Neons »

Placing the decals on the plane can be tricky sliding them around to position them.The Twin Star decal on the right wing is the original. This is just about the finish on the decorating the model Once my touch ups are all done it will be time to seal all the flat paint and decals with a polyurethane spray. Then it will be the basic electronics setups. Hopefully I can later this year post a YouTube video link in here.
Attachments
4-2-2020 TwinStar Model 02-Painting (0).jpg
4-2-2020 TwinStar Model 02-Painting (1).jpg
4-2-2020 TwinStar Model 02-Painting (2).jpg
4-2-2020 TwinStar Model 02-Painting (3).jpg
4-2-2020 TwinStar Model 02-Painting (4).jpg
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Re: Another Original Multiplex - Twin Star -Decals

Post by Neons »

Now here are the decals I made up on water slide decal sheet Pdf files has 4 different pages for size selections.
Attachments
Twin Star decals.pdf
(815.63 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
Bob Pacheco