1-2012 A Hobby KIng DF Flycat

Discuss & share your electric-powered airplane projects here!
Neons
Site Admin

1-2012 A Hobby KIng DF Flycat

Post by Neons »

The plane is only $15 and they (HK)charged just over $30 to ship it. I ordered a large supply of parts with a high ship charge. They packed it in the box at a slight charge of $10. So that made it a bargain.

I flew it on Jan 1rst and it is fast. Maybe about 60 plus mph for that little fan. It was with a small 11.1v 3S 20C 1300mah lipo. If I put a big ESC and a Nanotech 3S 2200Mah battery it could easily fly at 100mph or more. The problem with the plane it is small, white foam, and a light sleek but weak construction. I put the Carbon rods in before the fuselage halfs are glued. I suggest maybe 3- 1 foot long CF rods in the fuselage. . Open up the battery compartment and try to get your maximum size battery into it just incase you want to get that big battery in later. Then put the fuselage halves together. The plane is all hot glued. The wing needs about a 2 or 3mm CF rod for strength also. You could bury 2 -1mm CF into the booms along the bottom also.

Due to size and visibility it can be sprayed with waterbase high visibility neons or bright colors to help see the plane. The bottom needs darker colors to see the sillouette up above.I taped mine with black,orange packing tape on top. The bottom is Dark blue stripes. It only uses the elevator and ailerons for control. I have 3 -HXT 900's servos. The power is a HK 2627-4300kv DF motor. The motor is under $10 at HK. The plane kit comes with the fan unit. Not Bad. I do not know how long this will be in stock.

This flier Billy G gives a good demo using a Little Screamer Outrunner. The plane is a pusher. It is faster as a pusher. He also gives his evaluation on the plane after the flight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cysvHp4B ... re=related

Here is a stock DF version like mine with a 2200 25C 3s battery The stock kit EDF unit with HK 2627-4300kv gold Edf outrunner motor, ESC Turnigy Plush 40A/3A BEC, 3 x HXT 900 servos and TURNIGY 3S 2200 mAh 25C lipo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaqrJ7FjfSQ

Here is a 124 MPH Pusher version demo. If you want speed a pusher is the way to go. This Fly Cat demo has a motor 3400kv, ESC 50a, 4,5x4,5, and a 3s 1800mAh 30c Lipo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjYQ73N- ... re=related

All in all, I am satisfied with it. A Fun Cat could be coming up sometime also. Serious fast flyier.
**Neons**
Attachments
1-2012 FlyCat DF (0).jpg
1-2012 FlyCat DF (2).jpg
1-2012 FlyCat DF (3).jpg
Bob Pacheco
chistech

Re: 1-2012 A Hobby KIng DF Flycat

Post by chistech »

Hi Bob,
This plane looks like the "bobcat" turbine that been sold and flown for a few years now. One of the first successful turbines.
Ted Brito
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Ted
Similar design to Bobcat and it has a nice design lines to it. There are gas versions in YouTube. This onee is small. See the videos if you haven't yet. It went together fast.I got a 36" flying wing coming. I need to give it a try for doing some combat.
Neons
Bob Pacheco
tomapowa

Re: 1-2012 A Hobby King DF Flycat

Post by tomapowa »

Looks like FUN Bob! :D
I still yet havn't gotten an EDF... I almost bought a Habu BNF last year but probably want something a little bigger... Got to love the sound of the EDF too!
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Thanks Tom,
Habu is a very nice craft. I would use my own rewound motor in it to make it go. I like the less atractive Hobby King Funjet a lot as a beter value for banging around. Look it up on YouTube. It mooves also.
Bob
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

My latest FlyCat Maiden video is up now. Flew well but touchy on the ailerons. The rates have to be cut back on her. She flys good on only a 3S 1300 mah battery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Vxe7kMM1Q

**Neons** Bob
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

9-16-2012 Flycat with 4S 14.8v Nanotech Lipoly

Post by Neons »

This is an updated video from the last one. The last one was on 11.1v 1300Mah Lipoly. It was a slower flyer back then with poor elevator response. With the 4s 14.8v 1300Mah Nanotech Lpoly it is a reborne aircraft. Superb handling at a better rate of speed.. Unlimited verticals now. A great combination now

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit?n ... smVvZI7qw4
Bob Pacheco