A New 70% Index 3- 3D or Sport Flying -Indoor Outdoor

Discuss & share your electric-powered airplane projects here!
Neons
Site Admin

A New 70% Index 3- 3D or Sport Flying -Indoor Outdoor

Post by Neons »

My first one was over built and heavy for it'os small size. Not that this one is super light weight at 5oz. The older one was 9oz and I stripped it clean and finally trashed it.
I needed a new smaller Index 3/4 size plane.This is my 3rd one. I made 1 fullsize I still fly a lot outdoors.. So I built this plane in 3-4 days this past week. My last small one had some bad flaws and it was heavy at 9oz. This one ready to fly is 5oz. I did not try to save to much weight as I do no compete. I just sport fly. Some mods I did were a full length 3mm CF rod from in the motor mount to the rudder in the fuselage. I made the wings 2 inches longer.

I made a wider edged nose under the motor to reach past the landing gear. It is capped with 1/64th plywood. I also radiused the aileron wher it meet the fuselage to give the fuselage more strenght in that sharp corner. They seem to break there easily. The wing bottom has a long additional CF spar. I left out the smaller CF fuselage twist rods out. I am sure I could have easily dropped the weight down more with smaller servos and cut down the wires and use lighter glue. I would rather have it slightly overbuilt for my type of flying though. Notice there are no electronics on the top of the plane.he landing gear CF rods pass through thin ply pads now. It used to tear the foam here.

The artwork is a copy of Ampbombers paint. It is a stencil I made and use color pens. I sealed the color with a light spray of clear waterbase poly. I may have to add air brakes for the indoor yet.

You can also get the free fullsize plan here. This is a 70% plan.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showatt. ... 1326110417

A flight demo of the 100% size Index 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVSDm1f7 ... re=related
RC Group Forum Thread Here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623223

Neons
Attachments
Index 3 70% (5).jpg
Index 3 70% (1).jpg
Index 3 70% (2).jpg
Index 3 70% (11).jpg
Index 3 70% (14) - Copy.jpg
Index 3 70% (6).jpg
Index3 Plan_A0_55cm.pdf
(213.09 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Index3_Wing_Radius.jpg
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Re: A New 70% Index 3- 3D or Sport Flying -Indoor Outdoor

Post by Neons »

These are the first 2 Index 3's I built. I still fly the fullsize Index but slowly dying an aged death from many flights and bangs.. I will have to make another one sometime. The smaller 70% is the one I broke it up to make the new one above. The larger one fights wind real goodd-. It is a good plane.
Neons
Attachments
12-15-09_Index_3_-_2_sizes.jpg
12-15-09_Index_3_-_2_sizes_(1).jpg
12-15-09_Index_3_-_2_sizes_(2).jpg
different_drag_brakes.jpg
Bob Pacheco
tomapowa

Post by tomapowa »

Cool Bob!
I was big into the foamies some years back... I still have a couple but havn't flown them in some time.
Where are you flying these indoors?
tomapowa

Post by tomapowa »

These are a few of the foamies I did some years ago (5 maybe?)... this fella on RCGroups I think was putting up PDF plans for them... then he started selling them, along with short kits and all... both nice flyers! I attached the plans...
Attachments
3DF_Extra300LX.zip
(298 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
3dx-updated.zip
(554.94 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
3dfoamy-1.jpg
3dfoamy-9.jpg
3DX-2.jpg
3DX-36.jpg
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Hey Tom,
That is neat. That is the way I build all my profiles. I use blank CF arrow shafts for the spars in larger foamies. The smaller ones I split the arrow shafts down the middle. I still have about 10 sheets of the first generation pink foam Z-fold left. I am very careful now how I use the remaining sheets. The original pink foam is smooth and flawless (8yrs. old). The new stuff is all pin pricked and warped. Not good for my planes except if it is hidden like ribs and formers. I may have to buy blue Z-fold when I run out. I wish I could find a bundle of the first older pink foan with no marks on it again.

Good work. Hard to beat bang around eoamies.
**Neons** Bob
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

Tom
At least these home made foamies do not break the bank. Only loss is time. And the best part is they are easy to repair no matter how bad it looks most times the electronics are good too.

Here is another of 3 maidens on Jan 31rst Index 3 70% maiden flight test. I used a small 6x3E prop. I have a 8x4.3 SlowFly prop now. It did make the flight at the gym Saturday and I believe it will be better after some more trimming. She actully did ok with the air brakes on the wing. The free plans are available in full size and smaller 70% size. Check links above. The designer is coming out with a 36"wing size. My small plane has a 2" longer wing on it. I believe it is much better than my last one. More testing in order.
I am not a good 3D pilot, but I can just Sport fly fine with it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 23&page=46

Bob P.
Last edited by Neons on Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Pacheco
Neons
Site Admin

Post by Neons »

I am trying airbrakes That function with ease of mounting and removal. I am using thin clear plastic and 3 Depron angles glued to the control surfaces for the pins and to hold them flat. Just run the pins in to hold the plastic brakes. The plastic has paper punch holes on it in 2 rows. I am trying the rudder and elevators also the same way but not too wide. I believe it is going to be a good slow down without to much of a loss of handling. This will be most helpful indoors.
**Neons** Bob

Bob P.
Attachments
Index 3 70% -Air Brakes (1).jpg
Index 3 70% -Air Brakes (2).jpg
Bob Pacheco