Skyshark Dauntless Build

Discuss & share your glow-powered airplane projects here!
chistech

Re: Skyshark Dauntless Build

Post by chistech »

Finally got back to working on the Dauntless today. I cut out the plastic fairings to rough size. Though the directions don't say anything, I used 1/64 ply to make up the bottom of the fairings. I glued a piece of ply to each side of the wing saddle, put some wax paper where I needed to glue the joints, and bolted up the wing. I assembled and glued on the rear wood fuse fairings even with the back of the wing. I used a piece of 1/4sq with a slight angle sanded on it to help support the wood fairing better are the back of the fuse.

With careful trimming on the molded lines, the fairings fit really well. Once I was happy with the fit, I measured for three 1/8 balsa supports for the fairings. Using my duplicator gauge, I was able to get the proper curvature of the fairing to put on the supports. Using the duplicator again, I got the shape of the fuse for the other side of the support. I made up supports for both sides, and when I was happy with the way the fairings fit, glued them in place. Taking my time, I carefully feather sanded down the top edge, the bottom edge where it contacts the 1/64 ply, and the rear back corner of the fillet. The bottom edge that contacts the wood fillets doesn't need to get sanded. I did sand the edges on both wood fillets to match the angle of the contact areas of the plastic fillet. Taking your time and really sanding the edges down thin makes for a nice clean line between the fillet and the fuse/ply.

Using small pins, I pinned the very front point of the plastic fillet in place. Holding the fillet where I wanted it, I pinned the back corner. I then used a felt pen and traced the line of the fillet then taped off the line pretty close. With the lines traced I now had my glue lines. I taped on the back of the fillet, pulled the front point off the fuse but left the pin in the fillet. Using medium Zap, I glued about the first 4" of the fillet in place, basically starting at the first balsa support I made, forward. I pushed the the fillet back in place using the pin to guide it back in it's correct location. Once the glue set, I took the tape off the back of the fillet and lifted it up enough to run a line of Zap down the rest of the 64th ply. Once the glue set, I pulled the remainder of the top edge away from the fuse and ran Zap from the first support, all the way to the tail end of the fillet. Once set, the bottom edge of the plastic fillet is glued to the wood fillet. Then all is trimmed and sanded anywhere needed.

I recommend using the plastic fairing as the fit real well and if the builder takes their time, are easy to install saving lots of work. Mine seem to be nice and strong too.

I also cut out one side of the cooling vent per Brian's design. Assembled it up for a photo op and put one of the two 1/9th pilot figures I have on hand. (I usually buy a few pilot figures at a time but find I'm running out of US Navy ones. Have a couple Japanese on hand for some of my other builds though.
Attachments
Another shot with the wing mostly closed up. Can't get it to fully close with the servos doing the work. The wing fillets really start to finish the air frame up.
Another shot with the wing mostly closed up. Can't get it to fully close with the servos doing the work. The wing fillets really start to finish the air frame up.
Rear shot with brakes open. Going to be a pretty impressive little model.
Rear shot with brakes open. Going to be a pretty impressive little model.
Front shot with dive brakes open and pilot in his office.
Front shot with dive brakes open and pilot in his office.
Cooling vent cut in. I put Zap on the end grain of the sheeting to strengthen it up.
Cooling vent cut in. I put Zap on the end grain of the sheeting to strengthen it up.
Here's the finished fit to the wing.
Here's the finished fit to the wing.
Shot of the fillet with the wing off and all sanded down at the ply.
Shot of the fillet with the wing off and all sanded down at the ply.
Here's the bottom view of the ply on the wing saddle and the wood fillets at the top of the picture.
Here's the bottom view of the ply on the wing saddle and the wood fillets at the top of the picture.
Fillet completely glued in place with Zap. Nice flat joints at the fuse and ply.
Fillet completely glued in place with Zap. Nice flat joints at the fuse and ply.
3 balsa support made up with the 64th ply on the top of the wing. Plastic fillet pinned at the point.
3 balsa support made up with the 64th ply on the top of the wing. Plastic fillet pinned at the point.
Will add the rest of the fillet once the stab is glued to the fuse.
Will add the rest of the fillet once the stab is glued to the fuse.
Couple of tail shots I forgot to post.
Couple of tail shots I forgot to post.
Ted Brito
chistech

Post by chistech »

My best friend, great builder, and airbrush painter aficionado is doing a fiberglass show and tell tonight at our club meeting and my stab will be the item being covered. I wanted to get the elevators, rudder, and ailerons covered so yesterday I brushed on the Balsarite and got the elevators and rudder covered with aluminum colored Solartex. I finished up the ailerons early this morning. The Solartex is a great product to work with. I use the aluminum so after it's painted, some paint can be scraped off to simulate primer or aluminum depending on what model I building. Can't get plain Coverite any more any way!.

Piece by piece, it's coming together. Got the 7/8" hole for the fuel tank drilled and fit the fuel tank in. Most of wants going in the plane is in other than the two pilots and cockpit details. Still have the muffler to fit , the fueler, and the remote glow but it's just those little things. Got to clean up my work bench and give the whole area a good vacuuming. Nice to have a clean areas again plus it makes the wife happy. She usually works out about 6' from where I work on my planes. She likes having the company when she's on her elliptical.
Attachments
Same shot as a previous post just with the flight surfaces covered.
Same shot as a previous post just with the flight surfaces covered.
All assembled with flaps down and ready to go the meeting where I'll take the stab off for glassing. Put my radio gear in and the switch is out on the port side of the saddle so I can do a SAT.
All assembled with flaps down and ready to go the meeting where I'll take the stab off for glassing. Put my radio gear in and the switch is out on the port side of the saddle so I can do a SAT.
The trim tabs will be painted on with the airbrush. A special technique used make them look 3 dimensional.
The trim tabs will be painted on with the airbrush. A special technique used make them look 3 dimensional.
Starboard aileron covered.
Starboard aileron covered.
How much a little covering adds. Added a piece of 1/8 balsa at the base of the rudder to fill the gap in before I covered it.
How much a little covering adds. Added a piece of 1/8 balsa at the base of the rudder to fill the gap in before I covered it.
Ted Brito
chistech

Post by chistech »

Didn't get the stab fiberglassed last Tuesday night. Turns out Gerry's catalyst had gone bad so nothing to cure the resin with. When Gerry was looking at the wing fairing he told me how the rear bottom of the wing fairing leaves the bottom of the fuse smoothly and the pieces supplied in the kit for the bottom of the fairing don't really give that as an end result. You end up with a raised portion of the fuse in the bottom of the fairing.

To remedy this, I ended up adding two pieces of 1/4" sheeting and tapering them a lot to blend them in. A lot of shaping with a piece of sandpaper taped to the rear of the fuse gave me what I needed for a good flat bond. I ended up adding a 1/4" tapered piece on each side to close the gap between the old fairing bottom line and the new pieces added. Added some thin filler in a few spots but I've ended up a nice flat junction to the fuse with the fairing bottom.
Attachments
Left fairing all done.
Left fairing all done.
Right side of fairing all done and sanded.
Right side of fairing all done and sanded.
Here's a side shot of the back of the new fairing bottom.
Here's a side shot of the back of the new fairing bottom.
Bottom view of the new fairing. Still not quite right but better than it was.
Bottom view of the new fairing. Still not quite right but better than it was.
Still in the rough but now a smooth transition out of the fuse bottom.
Still in the rough but now a smooth transition out of the fuse bottom.
1/4sq added to fill the gaps in the sides and rough sanded to shape. Some filler added.
1/4sq added to fill the gaps in the sides and rough sanded to shape. Some filler added.
Two pieces of 1/4 sheeting sanded to the fuse bottom shape and tapered thin at the front where glued to the existing fairing bottom
Two pieces of 1/4 sheeting sanded to the fuse bottom shape and tapered thin at the front where glued to the existing fairing bottom
Here's the view from the bottom
Here's the view from the bottom
Here's how the stock fairing bottom finishes into the fuse and it's wrong.
Here's how the stock fairing bottom finishes into the fuse and it's wrong.
Ted Brito
chistech

Post by chistech »

Haven't done much in the last week or so as we need resin catalyst and haven't had the chance to go pick some up. I also need trim tape to start taping off the inside of the canopy so I can paint the inside zinc chromate green. Then I'll mask the outside for when it's painted with the rest of the model. The rear canopy will be all cut up and put in the forward stowed position so I can have the gunner and the twin fifties out. Here are some pictures of the guns I made up tonight. I used a Parmesan cheese contain for the main ring and the perforated gun run. The main ring was made from the cover and the perforated gun ring was made from the bottom's threaded top.
I sanded off all the plastic threads on both pieces and started working on them. The main rings is too small and I will have to look for something different. The Pilot/gunner figure I have is just a little cramped inside the ring so I will make a slightly larger one. The guns are coming along pretty nicely and will have enough detail to look good when painted right. I'm also putting evergreen plastic sheeting down on all the floors and bulkheads to make for a much better look when the cockpits get painted.
Attachments
Right now it's like putting 10lbs of $h(t in a 5lb bag in that rear cockpit. I'm going to use the drilled gun ring with a slightly bigger main ring to give "Joe" more room.
Right now it's like putting 10lbs of $h(t in a 5lb bag in that rear cockpit. I'm going to use the drilled gun ring with a slightly bigger main ring to give "Joe" more room.
The barrels are currently brass but will end up just dowels, cross drilled. The guns will get more details, some resining, and then paint.
The barrels are currently brass but will end up just dowels, cross drilled. The guns will get more details, some resining, and then paint.
Here's the assembled green main ring, the drilled gun ring attached, and the pair of Ma Dueces
Here's the assembled green main ring, the drilled gun ring attached, and the pair of Ma Dueces
top of the container cut off the bottle
top of the container cut off the bottle
Here's the threaded top of the container with a graduated piece of tap on it, with the holes drilled.
Here's the threaded top of the container with a graduated piece of tap on it, with the holes drilled.
Covers are snapped off the center and the center is cut away.
Covers are snapped off the center and the center is cut away.
Here's the top from the Parmesan container.
Here's the top from the Parmesan container.
Ted Brito
chistech

Post by chistech »

Worked some more on Gus the gunner's office and Gus himself. It's the old Vailly Aviation pilots they used to carry. I was able to cut and glue his arms up to hold the gun's handles and just need to do a little work on his head's angle then he'll get puddied up and painted.
Attachments
Sure adds a lot of detail and a good look
Sure adds a lot of detail and a good look
Another shot
Another shot
I think when the Dauntless is all done this same shot is going to look real good.
I think when the Dauntless is all done this same shot is going to look real good.
Here's Gus looking half way decent I think. I ended up making a new pivot block for the guns to move them a little farther out on the gun ring.
Here's Gus looking half way decent I think. I ended up making a new pivot block for the guns to move them a little farther out on the gun ring.
Ted Brito
chistech

Post by chistech »

Putting more detail on the guns. Added some plastic edges, gun sides, cocking knobs, ammo chutes, forward gun sight, ammo belt, and then painted it. Needs some work but coming along. Will make up a rear sight out of very fine brass wire, a ring of brass tube drilled and the wire run through to make cross hairs.
Attachments
Doesn't look have bad.
Doesn't look have bad.
I used colors on the gun that I saw in the Signal Squadron book. Some guns are black with the fuse color on parts and others were the same with brass colored armor plates.
I used colors on the gun that I saw in the Signal Squadron book. Some guns are black with the fuse color on parts and others were the same with brass colored armor plates.
Here's the ammo belt attached to the ammo chutes. Once the belts are situated in the plane they'll get thin CA'd to stiffen them up and secure the bullets in the belt.
Here's the ammo belt attached to the ammo chutes. Once the belts are situated in the plane they'll get thin CA'd to stiffen them up and secure the bullets in the belt.
Wanted to post a picture of the completed ammo belt.
Wanted to post a picture of the completed ammo belt.
Small brass brads with the head cut off put on a piece of masking tape.
Small brass brads with the head cut off put on a piece of masking tape.
Small brass brads. Future .30cal ammo
Small brass brads. Future .30cal ammo
Another view.
Another view.
Recoil rods and front sight (?) attached. Ammo chutes and gun frame highlights.
Recoil rods and front sight (?) attached. Ammo chutes and gun frame highlights.
Ted Brito
chistech

Post by chistech »

Going to be getting some glassing done and waiting on some styrene sheeting to come in so I can finish up the cockpits. Been doing the tedious masking and painting of the canopies on the inside. Always happy when this part is done!
Attachments
lots of taping and fine knife work. All worth it in the end.
lots of taping and fine knife work. All worth it in the end.
Ted Brito
chistech

Post by chistech »

My styrene sheets arrived today and I started covering up all the areas in the cockpits and radio deck area. Using all the sprue sheets left over after the bulkheads were removed made for perfect tracing on the styrene. Ended up taking the canopy pieces and trying them out in the stowed position. I put the second canopy inside the gunnel on the top of the radio deck, the next one inside that, then the rear most section inside that. I used a small piece of balsa to hold it up in the prototypical position. The front main section of canopy I taped to the outside of the fuse over the radio deck. I believe this is probably the best way of stowing the canopies when I go glue them up. Of course, they need the outer frames painted up yet and the deck needs more details. Just trying to figure out how to get it done the best way. Still have to make the ammo boxes to put the belts into at the twin .30's.
Attachments
More styrene strips to be glued in yet over the top of the bulkheads, some radio boxes and antenna to be put in yet. Need to put in the ammo boxes along the back of the gunner's cockpit. Also need to make the pilot's headrest and armor plate framing.
More styrene strips to be glued in yet over the top of the bulkheads, some radio boxes and antenna to be put in yet. Need to put in the ammo boxes along the back of the gunner's cockpit. Also need to make the pilot's headrest and armor plate framing.
Plenty of .010 styrene down. I brought the front piece right up and flush with the top of the front deck. Once the fuse is glassed and the deck glued down, then this front piece and instrument panel will be glued in.
Plenty of .010 styrene down. I brought the front piece right up and flush with the top of the front deck. Once the fuse is glassed and the deck glued down, then this front piece and instrument panel will be glued in.
View from the rear with the rest of the canopies in the stowed position. The balsa stick holding the rear canopy is only temporary of course. With all but the main canopy on the inside of the gunnel, the separation of the canopies actually looks pretty good compared with pictures I've seen.
View from the rear with the rest of the canopies in the stowed position. The balsa stick holding the rear canopy is only temporary of course. With all but the main canopy on the inside of the gunnel, the separation of the canopies actually looks pretty good compared with pictures I've seen.
Windscreen just sitting on the top with the main canopy taped over the radio deck.
Windscreen just sitting on the top with the main canopy taped over the radio deck.
Ted Brito
chistech

Post by chistech »

Didn't take many pictures but glassing has begun. Gotten about 1/3 of the air frame glassed in the last couple days. We use the West Systems resin and the credit card/heat gun technique. Hope to have it glassed completely before the end of the week.
Attachments
Only picture I took. Glass had just been laid out and hadn't even started putting the resin down.
Only picture I took. Glass had just been laid out and hadn't even started putting the resin down.
Ted Brito